Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow saves

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jbear0000
9292 Views, 10 Replies

Very slow saves

I am using Civil 3D 2011 with all updates installed. The computer is Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Xeon W3505 2.53 Ghz CPU, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 video card, with updated drivers, which is supported by AutoDesk.

I have a drawing that is only 3.8 MB. Whenever I save it or it does an autosave it take about 5 minutes to save and Civil 3D goes to not responding. Once the save is done it works okay again. It uses up 100% of one of my CPUs the entire time while saving.

The drawing has basic linework and text, several alignments, profiles, labels, xrefs, images references and data shortcuts to surfaces.

I tried doing a recover and that did not help.

I tried starting a new drawing and inserting the old drawing into it and that fixes the problem, however every label that I have edited reverts back to the default text and there are a lot of labels. I know I could always explode the labels to dumb text, but then I lose all the functionality labels offer.

Any idea why a drawing would save so slowly? Is there anyway to insert labels with the text overrides in place?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jbear0000
in reply to: jbear0000

I just tested it again after purging everything and running audit. Audit found 1 error and fixed it. I did a saveas so I could have a file I could mess around with without messing up the origional. It took about 8 minutes to save. It used almost 100% of 1 of the CPUs and there was no network activity until the end of the save. The drawing went up in size from 3.68 MB to 5.3 MB even though nothing was added to the drawing.

Message 3 of 11
Matt.Anderson

There could be a couple of items.

First; refer to http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16314279&linkID=9240617.  Be sure to follow the installation instructions for the NVidia drivers (which is typically to remove the current installed driver first before installatin the new one -  this typically resolves a number of issues)

Second; check your paths in the drawing and check the Windows Event Viewer to make sure you are not having a hard drive issue.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 4 of 11
c.bergthold

Try setting this to 0.

SAVEFIDELITY - Controls whether the drawing is saved with visual fidelity.

0 = Saved without visual fidelity.

1 = Annotation objects assigned annotative scales are saved to separate layers for each scale used. Only affects drawings when saving to AutoCAD 2007 or earlier file formats.

Cory

Cory
Message 5 of 11
jbear0000
in reply to: c.bergthold

Thank you cbess, that took it down to 20 seconds to save. I don't think I would have figured that one out on my own, thanks again.

Message 6 of 11
c.bergthold

Amazing the difference it makes. Saved me a lot of time.

Cory

Cory
Message 7 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: c.bergthold

Curious....Since that setting "Only affects drawings when saving to AutoCAD 2007 or earlier file formats.", why would anyone have C3D2011 saving to 2007 format anyway? I understand that this needs to be done from time to time to send drawings to others, but as a normal save?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 11
jbear0000

Jeff_M, that doesn't make sense to me either. Instead of making it a system variable that affects all drawings it would make more sense to have it only do this when saving backwards to 2007 or lower. I have no idea why you would want this turned on if you are not saving backwards.

Message 9 of 11
c.bergthold
in reply to: Jeff_M

"Only affects drawings when saving to AutoCAD 2007 or earlier file formats."

Sorry, I copied and pasted this from AutoCAD Help. I would say that that statement is incorrect. My understand of the way it actually works is if set to 1 it creates separate layers for all annotative objects whether you are saving to previous versions or not. Its only use is if you want to be able to open the drawing with earlier versions and have the annotative objects display correctly.

Cory

Cory
Message 10 of 11
jbear0000

But using 2007 or less you can't open the drawings unless it gets saved down. That is what seems strange, why make all drawings save the layers instead of only when actually saving down to 2007 or less.

Message 11 of 11
arkelec

Well done for posting this.  I have been struggling with this issue for months now.  Tech support have had me messing around & left me han ging with no resolve - I can't understand why I haven't found this thread before.

I decided to convert my entire block librtary to annonative - image my despair when every 10 miniyes, the prgramme locked (using 100% of 32GB RAM) when saving/auto-saving.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report