Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vertically curved pipes?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
m177
2379 Views, 11 Replies

vertically curved pipes?

Hello.  I am working on a telecom project that needs to be BIM.  Is there a way to create a pipe network that uses a pipe that bends vertically? 

I created a new part that is based off of the rectangular pipe to represent a duct bank, but from what I know right now is that I can only create vertically straight pipe segments.  But I need the duct banks to represent actual bends as shown on the profile (see attached).  I suppose for bigger bends I can just create small segments that make up the large bend, but that will be a lot of work I think.

Any ideas of how I should approach this? 

Thanks,

Mark

2012 Civil 3D

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mathewkol
in reply to: m177

That's your only option.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 12
mathewkol

Some people forego pipes with that reqiorement and use profiles or just plain AutoCAD linework.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 12
m177
in reply to: mathewkol

mathewk,

Thanks for the reply.  We actually have them all drawn up in profiles using regular AutoCAD.  The problem is that I need to make this project BIM, so from what I'm understanding is that I need to have these pipes/duct banks in 3D. 

This is my first 3D/BIM project, so I'm pretty close to clueless right now.

Thanks,

Mark

Message 5 of 12
michaela.g

Mark,

Have you thought of modeling your pipes with a corridor? Here are a couple of videos showing how one person has done this.

http://www.civil4d.com/2010/08/pressure-pipe-modeling-with-the-corridor-tools/

Michaela

Message 6 of 12
m177
in reply to: michaela.g

Michaela,

Thank you for the link.  Their method is ingenius.  It is above my skill level, but I'll give it a try as I think this will be my only option at this point. 

Thank you,
Mark

Message 7 of 12
michaela.g

Mark,

That one's been in my bag of tricks folder for a while, but I haven't had an opportunity to use it on any live projects. Let me know how it works out for you.

Michaela

Message 8 of 12
m177

Hi Michaela,

I was thinking about the corridor technique after I left work last night.  Although it's a great idea, I think I'll need to think of how I can go about making it work for my use.  In the video, they make the pipe follow the surface, but that is not going to be the case in my situation.  I have specific elevations at about every 25 feet with all kinds of bends in between and amongst those elevation points; the elevations don't seem to be a consistent depth in relation to the surface either.

Any suggestions to make it work?  I don't know how corridors really work, but what if I create a corridor that matched the elevations and curves that I want (if that is even possible), then have the pipe (made via separate corridor) follow the new corridor?  Do I make any sense? 

Thanks,

Mark

Message 9 of 12
m177

Actually, instead of creating a separate corridor just for elevations, I just need to create and place a feature line where I want it horizontally and vertically, then use that feature line as a reference for the corridor that will be used for the creation of the pipe.

Does that make any sense?  I ask because I'm still very new to Civil 3D and not completely sure if it's even possible.

Thanks,

Mark

Message 10 of 12
michaela.g

Hi Mark,

Here's what I would do...

Create an alignment along the path of the proposed pipe network.

Create an EG profile from the alignment.

Create an FG profile using the elevation points you need.

Build your pipe subassembly.

Create the corridor using your pipe assembly and the FG profile for the design elevations

If I understand what you're doing, that should get you what you need.

Also, I might suggest picking up a copy of Mastering Civil 3D 2012 or a similar training book. The chapters are easy to digest, they're filled with lots of great information and tips, and the exercises are short. I have no stock in the company or anything; that's just a book that I recommend to our users when they're looking for additional training resources.

Michaela

Message 11 of 12
m177

Michaela,

Thank you so much for all of your help.  I'm going to give it a try now. 

I actually have that book for 2011 and it has been very useful.  The tutorials that came with the Civil 3D software has been a big help too.  With the book, I find myself sometimes having more questions after the exercises than before, but I think it is only due to my limited experience with software in general (land desktop development and Civil 3D). 

I must say that I am making progress even if it is slow right now.  And if it weren't for you and other members on this forum, I would be stuck for much, much longer.  I sincerely appreciate yours and everyone elses help.

Thanks,

Mark

Message 12 of 12
m177

Hello Michaela,

I just wanted to give you a status update and thank you.

I did what you said along with the instructions from the video link that you provided.  It was a little bit tough for me at first because I never used assemblies and corridors before.  But I'm actually amazed with how simple it is now since I have a better understanding of it.

Thank you so much for your help.  I finally finished drafting in all of the proposed duct banks and I'm now working on creating the 3D parts for the handholes and manholes.

Thanks,

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report