Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vertical curve for pipe network??

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
basman12
3554 Views, 9 Replies

vertical curve for pipe network??

hello everybody
i want to draw a water pipe network and i wanted to be 1.6 meter under the ground level
any suggestions how to mange this my pipe network is PE material
i try to copy the profile and offset to -1,6 but i want to use the option of creat pipe network
and produce it in the profile view
but how can i make the network follow the ground level profile ????
 i need to add vertical curve to the network or somthing similar??
 can i divide the pipes in the profile view by adding the structures direct to profile view
thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dgordon
in reply to: basman12

how about a picture of what your seeing now.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 10
Jonathan3891

If I'm not mistaken, you cannot add any curves to a pipe network.

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 4 of 10
Neilw_05
in reply to: Jonathan3891

You can add curved pipes to a pipe network. When laying out a pipe notice the command prompt. You should see an option for making it a curved pipe.

There have been many posts about using pipe networks to model water pipes. While the pipe tools are very limited for this type of piping, there are several workarounds. Try a search for Water pipes and pressure pipes in the forums for solutions.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 10
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Neilw_05

just to clarify Neilw's reply, you can add horizontal curves to pipes, but not vertical curves, as far as i am aware.

Message 6 of 10
mathewkol

You can sort of emulate a vertical curve by creating several pipes in the location of the curve, this tesselating the curve. Not a good workaround but that's all there is currently.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 10
Hidden_Brain

Thanks for confirming Matt. Yeah, that's what I have been doing for now. Hopefully this functionality will get added very soon!
Message 8 of 10
mathewkol

I, You, and everyone else who uses C3D for utilities :).
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 10
SBHayes

"i want to draw a water pipe network and i wanted to be 1.6 meter under the ground level
any suggestions how to mange this my pipe network is PE material
i try to copy the profile and offset to -1,6 but i want to use the option of creat pipe network
and produce it in the profile view"

What I do is create a second surface from at an offset & create a surface profile from it.

-Create Tin Surface (ie. PE Min. Cover)

-Modify Surface --> Paste Surface --> Proposed Grade

-Modify Surface --> Raise/lLower Surface --> <-1.6>

Then add the surface to the profile and follow it manually.

Message 10 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: SBHayes

For WM using Gravity PN's this can be done by:

1. Draw a polyline representing the PN in plan view.

2. Create Feature Line from object using "Assign Elevations", choose "from surface", check "Insert intermediate grade break points".

3. Select Feature Line to view the many vertices, Weed the extra vertices by Modify Tab>Edit Elevations Panel>Delete Elevation Points. (This option will let you hover along feature line & click delete the unwanted additional vertices by clicking at green circle grips) Weed vertices will also work but may not be desirable depending on terrain.

4. Select Feature Line>Rt. click>Raise/Lower by -1.6m.

5. Create PN from object>Specify Parts List, Pipe & Null Structure>check "Use vertex Elevations", Vertex Elevation Reference>Outside top.

By applying pipe end styles at the "Null structures", Ellipse/Crossing pipe end's. Tee crossings etc. can easily be shown by also placing a null structure representing every intersecting WM branch run etc.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report