Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical Alignments

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AlanDarwin1245
1047 Views, 7 Replies

Vertical Alignments

Hello,

I have recently switched over from 12d & InRoads to Civil3d and need a bit of help with a few items.

I have a horizontal alignment and now want to create a vertical alignment which i have setup the file. But now it comes time to create the vertical points and what i want to do initially is drape (12d term) the alignment to the existing surface at 25m intervals and then drop it 0.9m below the existing surface. I just want some quick and dirty vertical to begin with as the alignment total is 45km long. Can this be done automatically? As i dont want to go and manually insert these IPs etc.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: AlanDarwin1245

Here are a some methods to sample the existing surface at an even interval.

Then after creating the Layout Profile, use the "Raise /Lower PVIs command on the Profile Layout Tools Toolbar to lower it 0.9m.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8

We do this quite often and we found that the SincPac tools http://www.quuxsoft.com/ has a great tool for the workflow you're describing. After you use the Civil 3D Create Surface Profile tool, the SincPac tool will then create an editable profile from the EG surface profile. You can then edit/raise/lower that profile. I know I promote this software for many things and the $$$ and production time it saves us are well worth the cost. I can save the cost on one project. HTH

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 4 of 8

Thank you for the helps.
Message 5 of 8

Hello,

I have a 3d poly in which i want to retaining both horizontal/ vertical and create this into a Civil3d alignment. Seems simple in other packages but i am still learning C3D and would think that this could simply be done via an automatic convert? Is this possible? If so could someone please help.

I am basically doing my alignments in 12d and want to bring into c3D to use the plan and profile generator...

Thanks,

AD

Message 6 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: AlanDarwin1245

The 3D poly is not a supported object type for an alignment definition in Civil 3D.

I know nothing about 12d but if your design in 12d then export LandXML the Alignments & Profiles

from 12d and Import LandXML into Civil 3D. Not sure if 12d supports LandXML?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 8

Not natively in C3D, but again, the SincPac tools that I mentioned previously do this very nicely. See attached pic. HTH

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply everyone.

I have downloaded a trial version of Sincpac and will give it a go.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report