Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verifying the file a data shortcut is pointing to

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nloder
385 Views, 5 Replies

Verifying the file a data shortcut is pointing to

I have created a data shortcut to an alignment, and created a profile based on that data shortcut in my File A.  The parent alignment resides in File B.  Recently, the parent alignment has moved to a new file in a new location, so I recreated the data shortcut to the new file, we will call File C.  In doing so, I deleted the data shortcut to File B, and created a data shortcut to File C.  

The problem arises when I return to File A.  It is referencing the alignment with no error, but it is not updating per the changes to the alignment made in File C.  It seems that by deleting and re-creating the data shortcut to the alignment, I have orphaned the alignment in File A.  Is there a way to fix this, or am I going to have to re-reference the data shortcut from File A to File C?  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
kcobabe
in reply to: nloder

I know the eggs in one basket approach has been taught from C3Ds beginning, but I still have yet to find a reason to seperate my profiles from my alignments.  It's just to much of a waste of my time to go between 2 drawings for 2 items that are suppose to relate to one another.

That being said, I think because the name is the same as the old profile the change is not taking.  I think you can use the repair data chortcuts tool, but to make the change I would just redo the links and be done with it.  Probably not the answer you were looking for, but your drawings should see the data shortcut change and change accordingly.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 3 of 6
nloder

Yes, that is not the answer I am looking for, but I don't see any other solution.  It is unfortunate that you can't force C3D to simply point to the alignment in the data shortcuts that has the same name.  I have tried changing the setting in the Data Shortcuts Editor to "Name Only," but my File A still contains a shortcut to an alignment that is unlinked to any file. 

Too bad there is not a way to simply change the parent alignment of a profile.

Message 4 of 6
bbissinger

I ran into this many times and I have something that works. The first you thing you need to do is rename your shortcut folder for that project...just add a letter to the folder name. Then open the dwg that has the alignment data referenced into it, in your case File A. It will say the reference is broken, do you want to fix it. Say yes and it will now let you browse to the drawing the reference is in, in your case File C now and it should update. If you delete the original File B, just go back and change the shortuct folder name back and you should be good to go. Hope it helps.... 

Message 5 of 6
bbissinger

I had to do this a few times when I had a print some old projects storm profiles and we moved and change our folder structure. I used this cheat and it save me having to redo all of my profiles with the original surface now in a different drawing. Just make sure the name in the new drawing is the SAME, in your case it should matter since you just moved it.

Message 6 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: kcobabe

I agree completely. I've recently experienced the problem.

I take your opinion even further down the track. My whole career as a Civil Engineer was based on a circular study of Plan, profile, cross section, plan profile cross section until the design was satisfied. I know we are supposed to adopt "new Work Flows" with civil3d, and in large I have acquiesced. And I'm not griping here, but it also seems silly to go to another file to examine cross sections... That's my beef today 🙂

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report