Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varying Depth Overlay

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
torpedo99
699 Views, 8 Replies

Varying Depth Overlay

Would be interested in a strategy for a varying depth overlay, i.e. where the overlay assembly follows a centerline design profile rather than a pavement depth up from existing grade.  Then the trick would be for the software to calculate the asphalt volume between the new top surface and the existing roadway surface...

Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sboon
in reply to: torpedo99

Check the help files for OverlayMillAndLevel1  It looks like it should suit your criteria as long as you set it up to avoid using some of the behaviour that you don't want it to use.  For example if you set the slope tolerance value to zero then it won't make any adjustments in the crossfall to match the existing lane slope.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 9
Joe-Bouza

To add to what Steve said; you can attach the rehab assembly to a design profile.

The trick I would like to see is edge control by profile

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 9
sboon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe - why do you want to control the outside edge of the overlay by profile?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

I'm glad you responded. Maybe my engineering has been flawed,but more often than not when I rehab an existing road (mostly residential subdivisions) the existing two edges are typically different than the centerline profile. I'd go as far to say I have never seen a situation where the two edges were identical. If I go in and try to force a normal crown I would end up replacing more driveway aprons, sidewalks, etc. than I'd like and adding new drainage in areas that did not have it previously.

Or the milling/truing and leveling seems ridiculous in many cases when I look at a NC. More accurately, defining, quantizing or constructing the variable milling or T&L is nebulous.

Many of the roads were originally concrete panels with asphalt shoulders, and gutter lines may have settled developing bird baths. Currently, I overlay the existing panels (matching existing cross slope when appropriate) and attach an outside super to the the M&O2 assembly so I can control the flow line. I am not crazy about the solution but its all I have for now.

I welcome any suggestions, because I do think I am working harder than maybe is necessary.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 9
torpedo99

Thanks Steve and Joe,

Following Steve's thread, in case it might be of interest, I have done roundabouts with multi-compound & reverse curve curb lines, while holding as much of the roadway area as possible to overlay.  With of course widening and narrowing where appropriate.

I use a centerline alignment and profile, with curb line alignments & profiles, then tie them together both hz and vt, then iterate profiles until cross slope and overlay depth mesh in.  It's a bit of a bear but clients appreciate the ease of construction.  It also requires the use of central island alignment/profile...

Again thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

Hi Steve,

Is ther aother way to achieve this:

mill&over.png

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 9
sboon

What you're describing sounds like OverlayWidenFromCurb.  If I understand the help file correctly you attach it to the curb alignment and profile and then use two alignments to control the width of the widening and the overlay.  In your case the Widening width would be the edge of the existing concrete panels and the Overlay width would be the road centerline.

If you wanted to do both sides of the road from one corridor then you'd likely need assembly offsets to make it work.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 9
sboon

Trying to picture this - can you post a drawing or screenshot?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report