Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VARIABLE FOR LABEL EXPRESSIONS

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Jason__M
891 Views, 8 Replies

VARIABLE FOR LABEL EXPRESSIONS

Often we need to collect our topographic/boundary data using a state plane grid, but we still need to label property lines using the recoded deed bearings.  We have a style with an expression set up to apply this rotation to lines and a similiar one set up for curves.  Is there a way to store this rotation and have both expressions look up the value from one place?  I am worried that I will type in the angle for the line labels and then forget to type it in for the curve labels, or maybe the angle is typed in correctly in one expression but incorrectly in the other.  If it was typed in once, then even if it was wrong, at least the labels would be consistent and correct relative to each other.

Thanks for any help or advice

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jason__M

Make an expression call it say "RotationAngle" this is where you enter the rotation. Then reference "RotationAngle" in the line label style. I'm puzzled about the curve part of the question.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
sboon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe - they likely need to label curves with either radial or chord bearings.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

Thanks Steve.

So the op will need to do it twice.

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Joe-Bouza

I made an error. you need RotationAngle for line and curves. More importantly you will need two more expresions to do the math {GeneralSegmentDirection - RotationAngle} then ref those in the label style.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Jason__M

Joe,

In your reply you type {GeneralSegmentDirection - RotationAngle}.  Is the "Rotation Angle" what you will see in the expression builder?  If that's the case, how do we set that?  Currently I am doing the math so my expression looks like {GeneralSegmentDirection} + DEG2RAD(xxx) (with the "xxx" being the measured rotation that I type in each expression).  That's the part I am trying to get away from.  Can I have that value either typed in and saved or calculated in an another expression, and have it called back up somehow in a generic expression that creates the label (one for lines and one for curves)?

Thanks for your interest,

Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza

I was wondering how you had it set up.

Where you have the xxx, replace that with the expression that hold your roation angle:

{GeneralSegmentDirection} + DEG2RAD(RotaionAngle)

I was fumbling with the math and was not sure if I was adding or subtracting, and I had the angle format wrong. Do you keep the values as "double"?

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Jason__M

Joe,

In my expression, I was using the "direction" format. 

I didn't notice before that you could call up existing expressions.  That will be helpful. 

It looks like I am still stuck with having to type (or calculate) the rotation value in two seperate expressions though.  If I create a  line expression that calculates the rotation value, I can't call up that expession when building my curve expression, right?  Or is there a way to create a generic expression that could be called up in both the line and curve expression builder?  Typing it in twice definetly works, but I am afraid of forgetting or messing up one of the two.

Thanks again,

Message 9 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Hi Jason

I don't see the expressions for "Lines" listed in curves. So, yes the expression would have to be filled in for both, but if you have a mess of label styles that rely on the angle it a home run

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report