Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Daylight slopes to a profile

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
WyldeParnelle
813 Views, 11 Replies

Variable Daylight slopes to a profile

I am trying to create in my sub assembly a daylight with a variable slope to a graded ditch then it backslopes to natural ground. (image attached). How can I do this in Civil 3d 2012?

Thanks a merry Christmas to all 🙂

Wylde

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mathewkol
in reply to: WyldeParnelle

With that kind of logic requirement, you're likely going to need to make a subassembly using the Subassembly Composer. Unless of course someone has a really cool idea.

It shouldn't take very long to make one if you know what you're doing.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 12
WyldeParnelle
in reply to: mathewkol

yeah, that's where the problem is, I have no clue how. Very new at Civil 3d

Message 4 of 12
doni49

@WyldeParnelle wrote:

yeah, that's where the problem is, I have no clue how. Very new at Civil 3d

There are lots of tutorials on using SAC that will teach the hows.  But the one part that I had to pretty much figure out on my own was how to correlate all the codes to the CODESET within the corridor definition.

Take a look at this thread -- hopefully it'll help you with that part.  My boss asked me to write something up and I posted part of it here wanting to have it reviewed for accuracy.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/SAC-Codes-Writing-up-a-quot-How-to-quot/m-p/3...

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 12
fcernst

You don't need to use SAC if you don't want to on this problem.

You can do this with the stock Conditional subassemblies. Since you're new I would suggest studying up on their functionality.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 12
mathewkol

Fred is correct, the Conditional CutFill subassembly can be used, but he did not mention how one might do it.  The Conditional CutFill uses a target surface, so it can't be used with your ground surface since your foreslope criteria is based on ditch depth below the attachment point.  It's a little tricky, at least the way I have come up with.

You need a surface which represents the elevation of your ditch bottom and this surface is flat from left to right when viewed in a corridor section (see the lower red line in the image below).  The foreslope conditinoals use this as a target.  The backslope conditionals use the ground surface as a target.

Since you have 6 if/then statements, you need 6 conditionals; 3 for the foreslope and 3 for the backslope.

I have attached a drawing that does what I think you need.

Capture.JPG

Matt Kolberg
Message 7 of 12
WyldeParnelle

can hardly wait to get to the office Monday to try these out, thanks guys. I wish I had Civil 3d at home, I have a subscription for Inventor Suite Premium (because that's my experience for many years) Civil is new to me. I understand the logic but getting there is a challenge. I never back down from a challenge :).

Message 8 of 12
fcernst

This Assembly that is offered will not work for the ditch backfill condition. Ditch depth is to be measured as the vertical differential from Daylight catch point to ditch invert.

This will be a good exercise for you to work with, and now you have start.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 12
mathewkol

It will work, though it won't be perfect in situations where there is more than a small amount of lateral fall in the ground surface. It's the OP's choice unless he wants to make a new SA using SAC which he is unlikely familiar with.
Matt Kolberg
Message 10 of 12
fcernst

It will only be accurate if EG is dead flat.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 12
mathewkol

Obviously.
Matt Kolberg
Message 12 of 12
fcernst

Obviously.

I suggest to the young OP to search for posts from Steve Boon, David Zavislan and Peter Funk, demonstrating the concept of using Generic links for testing conditions and Omitting links, combined with the innate ability of Assemblies to remember the relative translation movements instilled by the designer of the Assembly's various subassemblies during Assembly creation. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report