Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanilla Autocad and C3D

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
yee-fan
1037 Views, 7 Replies

Vanilla Autocad and C3D

C3D 2012, Win 7, 64 bit

I am working with sheet files that were created using vanilla autocad.  My references are created in C3D (alignments, contours, contour labels, slope labels, etc).

I open the sheet file in C3D, reference the C3D file, and all the label texts are tiny.  When I label the alignment using the station offset label, it gives me 4+16.67 instead of 50+00.

Personally I don't think a vanilla autocad file can do C3D things correctly (like label, bring in data shortcuts), but a coworker disagrees.  Can someone confirm this?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ccoles
in reply to: yee-fan

We ran into this issue when we first staerted using C3D. The problem looks like your units settings are off. Check to make sure the units settings in the sheet files are not set to 'Architectural' and insertion units set to feet. The stationing difference between 4+16.67 and 50+00 is exactly 12, meaning Civil 3D is doing a conversion based on the units settings. We found the best way to avoid these problems is to set the units the same in Civil 3D and Vanilla ACAD templates.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 8
yee-fan
in reply to: ccoles

Nice!  Thank you.  The sheet files were set to inches.  Once I changed it to feet even the text size of the labels were fixed.  Whew, we won't need to redo all the sheet files to C3D.

Message 4 of 8
john.mckenzie

Vanilla Autocad is a Subset of C3d.

therefore, Vanilla autocad will not and cannot cause an issue within C3d. (Unless it is 3rd party customization of a vanilla install-but then it wouldn't be vanilla any more)

That means that the solution will always come down to a setting. if the this had not been a units issue, it very likely could have been an issue of annotative scale if it were only your text sizes acting weirdly. In each case a setting.

NOW

Civil 3d drawing in Vanilla autocad. That is a bigger issue.

Message 5 of 8

I should qualify that post by saying

AS LONG as there is not a VERSION issue. RE:

Vanilla 2014 and C3d 2012. then it won't open at all.

Message 6 of 8
yee-fan
in reply to: john.mckenzie

Thank you.  I just ran into something yesterday, where I tried to reference in a file with contours and labels.  The label size and location came in correctly, but I don't see any contours.

I also tried to shortcut the surface into the file to display the contours, but I don't see anything at all either. 

Any thoughts on why the contours are not displaying? 

Message 7 of 8
john.mckenzie

Not sure exactly but many times this is the issue.

type

levelofdetailoff at the command line.

it is new and with it on it changes what is displayed based upon zoom. it can be a monster of a headache or a godsend depending upon your point of view (or size of file)

Message 8 of 8
yee-fan
in reply to: john.mckenzie

Thanks.  I tried that but nothing changed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report