Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using multiple coordinate systems at once

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BenjR
1681 Views, 3 Replies

Using multiple coordinate systems at once

Howdy

I'm finding myself on more and more sites that use multiple coordinate systems and height datums.

We have 3 on this job. One is the MGA zone 50 GDA94, another is just an offset of this and the third is a strange local grid with offsets and rotations.

We have Excel spreadsheets that can convert between the systems, but that requires several extra steps per point.

Is it possible to define each coordinate system in one drawing so that I could select which system I wanted to use, input the points and then select the main coordinate system so it converts the coordinates directly?
It would mean less steps and I would have greater confidence in this system. 

We have the parameters for all systems.

Cheers

Ben 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: BenjR

1] in a brand new empty drawing, set the main common CRS (command _ADESETCRDSYS)

2] attach the 3 maps, each with its own CRS (command _ADEDRAWINGS)

3\ perform a "draw query" to uniform all to the main CRS of point #1 (command _ADEQUERY)

Message 3 of 4
BenjR
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks, I have some questions, but I've not run through the supplied method, so I'll do that and then see what questions remain.

Cheers for the help. 

Message 4 of 4
BrianHailey
in reply to: BenjR

Just so you are aware, the method mentioned works great but it only works on AutoCAD entities and will not work on C3D points. You can create new point file formats that will convert points on import or export from any coordinate system defined on your system.

I didn't read the entire post but this seems to have the information on how to do this: http://civilintentions.blogspot.com/2012/02/civil-3d-point-file-coordinate.html

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report