Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USGS GridFloat

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mfazio
4638 Views, 11 Replies

USGS GridFloat

I am trying to import a USGS DEM.  The USGS DEMs come in two file formats: ArcGRID and GridFloat.  Does anyone know how to transform these files so they can be imported into Civil3D?  I tried SDTS2DEM and it's not working.  Is there any other program I can purchase that will translate these file formats into DEMs Civil3D can read?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
wfberry
in reply to: mfazio

http://www.dotsoft.com/

Look up Mapworks.

Bill

Message 3 of 12
mfazio

Thanks

Message 4 of 12
TerryDotson

That should be a small .HDR file that you can drop into notepad to see something like this:

ncols         709
nrows         541
xllcorner     -111.82787036934
yllcorner     34.820462961916
cellsize      9.2592592599919e-005
NODATA_value  -9999
byteorder     LSBFIRST
NODATA         -9999

Along with a large binary .FLT file.  If this is the case (and your byteorder is LSBFIRST) then MapWorks Surfaces will convert it to an ASCII Grid that Civil3D can reference, point file, import it, etc.  If your byteorder is not LSBFIRST then we can do a quick revision.

Message 5 of 12
Murph_Map
in reply to: wfberry

@wfberry wrote:

http://www.dotsoft.com/

Look up Mapworks.

Bill

🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 12
Hidden_Brain

you can download it in arcgrid format, and then use the.ADF file that is ususally named as w001....adf (the one without the "x" in its file name). if you change your folder view settings to DETAILS, this ADF file would be the last but one.

Message 7 of 12
mfazio
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

can you import the ADF directly into Civil3D?

Message 8 of 12
Hidden_Brain

yes, first create a new blank surface, then add DEM Files under the surface definition in prospector. you need to know what the coordinate system of the ADF file , and you should have a coordinate system set up for your drawing in which you are doing this. if your arcgrid is from usgs seamless, the vertical will be in meters, but you can landxnl out and then landxml into a fresh drawing to convert it to feet.

Message 9 of 12
mfazio

Thank you very much, this helps a lot.

Message 10 of 12
Hidden_Brain

No problem, glad I could help. Please mark it as a solution so that it can benefit other people!
Message 11 of 12
csparber

Hello YoungPE--

I am new to AutoCAD civil 3d and really do not have experience with GIS files.  I just graduated from school and really did not get much experience with GIS.  I have downloaded an arcgrid file from the usgs website and have followed the steps you outlined.  However, when I load the file ADF file as a definition for the tin surface then Civil 3d becomes non responsive and crashes.  Any Ideas?

I use the UTM with NAD83 datum, Zone 11, Meter; Central Meridian 117d W coordinate system.

Also I have windows 8 pro and am using Civil 3d 2013 which I was assured by my VAR would work smoothly. 

Thanks.

--Chis

Message 12 of 12
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: csparber

is it because of the size of the Grid? ever since seamless server got folded into the National Map, I have not been able to figure out how to define a download area, and always end up downloading the entire viewer screen DEM. the result, a much bigger size Grid that I now have to clip.

if you zoom really close at at area in the National Map and repeat the same steps fro a small Grid, can you achieve the results? that's what I would test first, if you can complete the steps, then you may need more computer resources for your Grid. then you can try repeating the steps in parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report