Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Defined Parcel Properties

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
kuenzlk
808 Views, 10 Replies

User Defined Parcel Properties

I'm trying to add user defined properties to parcels, and then apply various styles to control shading of parcels, and to display some or all of the user defined data, as applicable depending on the values of that data.

I have managed to create a user defined category within my [User-Defined Property Classification] and then create categories within that classification.

The problem I'm having is that I want to be able to see those classifications in prospector so that I can sort based on those values, and then batch assign styles.  I can't seem to figure out how to display the classifications.

Has anyone done this? Is it possible? If so how?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dana.probert
in reply to: kuenzlk

I got Infrastructure Design Suite 2013 installed on my desktop machine this AM, so I can finally dig around and try some things.

I'm not having any luck getting my UDP to show up in prospector, but you can take advantage of the description, address and tax id (integer) fields.

Can you give us some examples of what kinds of properties to are assigning to the parcels and what output you are hoping for (ie reporting, counts, or just style control) and I might be able to work up a blog post with some ideas.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 3 of 11
stacy.dunn

You may want to look into autocad Map.  It is what C3D is built on and it can do exacly what you are describing.  The downside is that C3D doesn't work well with it. 

Stacy Dunn
Message 4 of 11
dana.probert
in reply to: stacy.dunn

It depends on what he is looking to do, Stacy. Map is really good at theming parcel type data, yes, and I recommend using a Map workflow if he was bringing in shapefile data or other GIS from a county, etc. or analyzing many polygons, or if Map would be better suited for the type of reporting he needs.

Maybe he can tell us more about his project and I can give a better recommendation on how to proceed.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 5 of 11
stacy.dunn

Dana,

You are correct as it would depend on need for the particular project.

To get the UPDs to show up, you need to assign the classification group to the site.  Right click on the site and choose properties.  The classifications are on the Composition tab.

parcel classification.PNG

Stacy Dunn
Message 6 of 11
dana.probert

To show up in Prospector? I can't seem to get that to work for me.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 7 of 11
stacy.dunn

yep.  I had to refresh a couple of times to get it to show up though.

PROPS.PNG

Stacy Dunn
Message 8 of 11
dana.probert

Nice!

Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 9 of 11
kuenzlk

Thanks everyone, that worked perfect.

And to answer earlier questions on my post,  we are just using the UDP to store information like, Title Number, Owner(s) names, Legal Description, etc.  We don't need to do any analysis,  I'm just experimenting with it as a different way of having control over how the data is represented depending on the task at hand.

We wanted to keep it in C3D for two reasons.  Ultimately the mapping we are doing is going to be refined to survey tolerances and legal plans are going to be developed.  Secondly, we haven't had a lot of time to become comfortable with Map, so we are limited to the few map funcitons available within C3D.

Thank-you all for your help.

Message 10 of 11
Sinc

There are STILL problems that C3D can easily lose all that info if you need to edit your Parcels in any way.  Parcels really need to be re-designed, probably with something similar to Map centroids, or maybe a two-phase edit process, so this data doesn't get lost.  So I recommend caution in using this approach.

Sinc
Message 11 of 11
Cadguru42
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

There are STILL problems that C3D can easily lose all that info if you need to edit your Parcels in any way.  Parcels really need to be re-designed, probably with something similar to Map centroids, or maybe a two-phase edit process, so this data doesn't get lost.  So I recommend caution in using this approach.

I concur with Sinc.  I just did a ROW acquisition project for just 5 tracts.  Sounds simple, right?  All I needed to show was a legal sized exhibit for each of the tracts with the neighboring properties information also.  My ROW drawing became corrupt not once, but twice.  I had to redraw all the parcels and recreate all the parcel data twice.  For a small project like this one it was a pain.  I'm not doing anything with parcels on a larger project based on this experience.  The strange part is, after the first corruption whenever I edited a single parcel's information I would audit and save.  No errors until I panned the drawing.  That cause C3D 2012 to crash and then the parcel data was all lost, including the .BAK and autosave files. 

I've not gotten too involved with the map topology stuff, but I think on the next project that's the route I'm going to go.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report