Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use ellipse in horizontal alignment

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sb208918
839 Views, 5 Replies

Use ellipse in horizontal alignment

I could not find the options of elliptical arc to be used as curve in the alignment interface of Civil 3d. Is it possible to do so with programming? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: sb208918

Alignments can contain arcs and spirals, no ellipses. I suppose someone could create code that would make an ellipse, but it would not be a civil 3d alignment object, it would be a custom object.

I highly doubt there is such a routine out there. But good luck anyway.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 6
mathewkol

I don't know the math for ellipses vs spirals, could they be close enough?
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 6
sb208918
in reply to: mathewkol

I read in one of the research papers that I was going through and it was mentioned there that use of ellipse could be advantageous instead of circular and spirals and wanted to know if it was possible using Civil 3d. I  am pretty sure it is not possible in other design softwares that I know of. I just wanted to know if it was possible in Civil 3D. Hope somedays , a standard tool will be developed for it. Anyways, thankyou for your quick response. 

Message 5 of 6
wfberry

OK, an ellipse has two focal points.  The total distance from FP 1 to the ellipse and from that point to FP 2 is always the same distance.

Stake out your two focal points and away you go.

TIC

Bill

Message 6 of 6
jmayo-EE

If you don't mind a chorded ellipse set pellipse to 1 and they will be drawn a plines not ellipse objects.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report