Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a Featureline OR Alignment as a Surface Boundary?

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
doni49
2758 Views, 33 Replies

Use a Featureline OR Alignment as a Surface Boundary?

Is there a way to use a featureline or an alignment as a surface boundary?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I still don't have any idea what the problem was but I deleted the featureline, removed all edits from my surface except the items that are not related to this FL and recreated the FL.  Then I added the NEW FL as breakline and boundary.  This time around, it looks good.

The weird thing is that AFIK, I did the same thing this time around.

Thanks for your time guys!  I really do appreciate the assistance.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 22 of 34
john.mckenzie

Hmmmmm. The LOC is picking the elevations from EG. I can see it in the triangles. It is also accepting the LOC as the boundary. because some of it is dead on.

this looks like a rounding thing. I am going to have to go play with it a bit. Be right back.

Message 23 of 34

Good. Glad it is working for you.

As a safety precaution next time and to avoid future messing with the FG. Try this.

Create a surface that contains all your FG work except the tie to LOC.

NOW

Create a new surface call FG FINAL Tie to LOC

paste FG

Add feature line as breakline in here. Then add Boundary.

This sounds like unneeded steps BUT. If tweaking LOC and adding as breakiline and new surface boundary causes issues with leaving artifacts behind at edit time, this creates a break from the FG surface and allows you to recreate the FG FINAL Tie to LOC surface as many times as needed and guarantees no artifacts left to KILL the FG surface that you worked so hard to create.

Just a thought if it is going to get nasty, create a way to protect what came before.

Message 24 of 34
jmayo-EE

FYI you should be able to use the same Fline for a breakline and a boundary. You should not need a separate pline for this. Not that it's a big deal but it is another object and maybe layer to manage.

John Mayo, PE, CFM, CME
Message 25 of 34
doni49
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@jmayo wrote:

FYI you should be able to use the same Fline for a breakline and a boundary. You should not need a separate pline for this. Not that it's a big deal but it is another object and maybe layer to manage.

I did use the same FL.  Thanks.  Since I need to keep the PLINE and I don't want to see both the FL AND the pline, I set the FL to a no display style -- AFTER adding it to the surface as both breakline and boundary.  But technically, I wouldn't see any harm in using the original pline as the boundary.

Don Ireland

Message 26 of 34
Joe-Bouza

I respectfully disagree.
If the LOC is arbitrary, then an alignment>> surface profile>>dyno FL is the way to dynamically move the LOC line and have the grading update. Of course that would be used in an infill situation not a projection.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 27 of 34
Joe-Bouza

You may want to look into minimum triangle length to limit the outside triangulation. *(see my response to JM regarding use of alignment
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 28 of 34
Joe-Bouza

Infill between EOC and LOC ( as desribed above)
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 29 of 34
Joe-Bouza

Can be unpredicatble, but I'm living dangerously 🙂
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 30 of 34
Joe-Bouza

One thing I have adopted for site grading is to not add any FL to the surface def, but instead use FL in a grading site with infills. A few control FL + infill works great, so far. Plus I more easily avoid the inevitable complaint because the daylight contour don;t have that nifty curl the LS arch are so fond of.

I like my surface definition list to be very short

Actually, My favorite work flow is to make every eop, curb, sidewalk, retaining wall, et al alignment; use a control plane surface to define the grading scheme, surface profile the line required and voila every FL in the site is dynamic. It take the *Eric Chapel technique to the next level.

* see AU 2012 Islands of asphalt

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 31 of 34
john.mckenzie
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

joe, I agree on FL to surface. It is too easy to forget that you did it and later wonder why your Final grade is doing that when you want it to do this. Only use when absolutely needed. Generally, never IMO.

Message 32 of 34
jmayo-EE

And with all due respect I respect your respectfulness. 🙂

Yes this is a good dynamic solution without a projection. I am looking at this through my workflow where the most important thing I need from the LOC is the area in a plan label for SCD. And this is much more important to me than a dynamic LOD.

Question do you close these alignments and can you report the area in plan label without making a duplicate pline object?

John Mayo, PE, CFM, CME
Message 33 of 34
Joe-Bouza

Yes. they create parcels with area labels etc.. Now I know the willies can be evoked with parcels but when formed by laignments in sites I have not experienced any instability
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 34 of 34
jmayo-EE

Oh there you go giving me the heebie jeebies again. :0

I would bet that I am just stuck in an outdated mindset/workflow/trust issue here. Since the collateral damage is minimal I will be giving this a shot. Heebiew jeebies and all. 🙂

John Mayo, PE, CFM, CME

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report