Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*URGENT* Drawing Freezes/Hangs When Exiting Block Editor

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3427 Views, 10 Replies

*URGENT* Drawing Freezes/Hangs When Exiting Block Editor

My machine has more than what it takes to efficiently run ACAD, and has never had this issue before. 

I am working on a retaining wall design, and as I "retroedit" my blocks, based on the evolving needs of the drawing (conformit to my ctb file, making the blocks more detailed etc.), ACAD hangs/freezes. So far, if I wait a few minutes, it responds, but this is seriously impeding my efficiency, and the project is on a tight schedule (aren't they all!). I have run 'AUDIT', 'RECOVERALL', and 'PURGE', but the problem remains. 

UPDATE: Now my entire drawing is running slowly, with every action causing ACAD to hang/freeze for a few...ERRRRGH!!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance:-)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

Nick,

What are your blocks like? C3D hates vertical surfaces.

Can you post your drawing or a screen shot of your blocks?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 11
AllenJessup

Are the blocks local or on a network. If they're on a network try moving the locally and see if things improve.

Also: Make sure you clean out the Temp folder.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

I appreciate your reply, Allen! I must admit I am ignorant as to how to check the location of my blocks…! Do you have a quick/clean method for organizing them?

Thanks so much☺

Nick Pfister, EIT – Staff Engineer
HOLM, BLOUGH AND COMPANY
1402 Stampede Avenue
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 586-1554
[npfister@hbco.us]
www.hbco.us
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

My blocks are just simple retaining wall blocks that I created from lines/polylines. They are just fine, but I want to complete my design, and then add a letter inside of each block (I have four varieties). When I do this, mayhem ensures!

Message 6 of 11
KirkNoonan

Sometimes using an annotative text style in a block will muck things up. You might check that the letters you are inserting are not annotative.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: KirkNoonan

The text is not annotative, but thanks for the idea!!

Nick Pfister, EIT - Staff Engineer
HOLM, BLOUGH AND COMPANY
1402 Stampede Avenue
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 586-1554
[npfister@hbco.us]
www.hbco.us
Message 8 of 11
AllenJessup

Nick. I spoke too fast. If you're editing the block within the drawing the blocks are then part of the drawing. It matters more where the drawing is being saved too and where the temp files Civil 3D creates are residing. You can check the temp folder location in Options.

tmp.PNG

I recommend that it be on a local drive and that it be cleaned out periodically. You also need to have a larger dedicated paging file size with Civil 3D than you normally would with other programs. The OS will increase the size as needed but that takes time. Better to dedicate it to begin with. RAM is also an issue. Does your computer have a minimal amount of RAM? What are the specs.?

The most common cause of files bogging down during simple editing is slow writes to disk, local or network.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks, Allen! I will make the changes you recommended, and would expect an improvement. I noticed that unplugging my network connection, and then plugging it back in, helped "unfreeze my computer, so I suspect you're onto something with the temp file location etc.

Thanks again:-)

Message 10 of 11
AllenJessup

Hope that helps. If you find that's not the problem you can deselect the answer. The selected answers are mostly to help user's searching the forum to find a proven answer quickly.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Will do!

Nick Pfister, EIT - Staff Engineer
HOLM, BLOUGH AND COMPANY
1402 Stampede Avenue
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 586-1554
[npfister@hbco.us]
www.hbco.us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report