Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from '09 to '13

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
t_mckenzie
247 Views, 3 Replies

Upgrading from '09 to '13

FINALLY!

Our company is finally upgrading our software and getting us on C3D '13. I wanted to ask anyone who might remember, what kind of things will I need to address as far as our template file? I am sure there are new styles I will need to address.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tucker McKenzie

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgordon
in reply to: t_mckenzie

I recommend against just opening your 2009 template in 2013 and saving that as your current template.

Instead open the basic 2013 OOB drawing and use the migrate styles tool to bring forward any styles already created.

then set all the ambient settings and layers.   Finally insert the old template as a block to bring in any blocks saved in the template file and any layers from the old template.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 4
troma
in reply to: dgordon

Question (since I will soon face a similar situation (from 2011)):

If you just insert as a block in the first place, won't that bring all the styles too?  Or is there an advantage to using the tool you mention?

Also, you mention setting all the layers and ambient settings.  That will be time consuming.  What about the command default settings? I presume they all need to be set up again too.   Any suggestions on a better way to handle this?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 4
mathewkol
in reply to: troma

That import tool can be flakey for sure.  it doesn't do any object layers and I've seen it miss default settings.  I would hesitate to start from scratch and just copy styles.  i would open the 2009 file, save it as 2013, recover until there are no more errors and go from there.  Starting from scratch even with the available tools just leaves too much to chance in my opinion.

If you find the resulting file too flakey then start from scratch a second time, you haven't really wasted any time trying.

It may be a good idea to revuild your parts lists from scratch.  It's not crucial, but it may save some problems later on.  Upgrading is always an excuse to visit what's new and make new styles for the new objects.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report