Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Subassembly?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
907Trekker
5371 Views, 8 Replies

Update Subassembly?

Say that I build a subassembly in subassembly composer, import it into a drawing, use it in a corridor, and then decide that I need to modify it. 

Is there a way that I can reimport it without having to delete it from all of the assemblies and the tool pallet, restart autocad, etc?

Thanks,
Mark

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

What I do is this...

1. Update the subassembly in SAC

2. Start Civil 3D in a new drawing

3. Remove the old tool from the palette

4. Import the SA to the palette

5. Open my corridor drawing.

Doing this should update the subassembly and you should only have to rebuild the corridor to get the update. What is happening in the back ground is that when you reimport the sa, the files that drive the SA are refreshed in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Imported Tools directory and those new files are used on the corridor rebuild.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9

Great, thanks Peter.  I'm looking forward to using that process next time. 

Also thanks for the background info, it is good to know what is going on.

Mark

Message 4 of 9
xquilax
in reply to: 907Trekker

Dear Peter,

I tried to update my subassembly doing your steps list, but after importing my new subassmbly, I get the same class Name, but different .NET Assembly Name path.

Old
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Imported Tools\IND-LMB-BQAMulti-2012-V5M\ce9fd3af78e543229e64b6d540b373cc.dll

New
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Imported Tools\IND-LMB-BQAMulti-2012-V5M\5a85a6fe83b1424b8dffd24444731709.dll

Message 5 of 9
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: xquilax

It looks like the subassembly has a new internal name because the dll has changed. This can happen if you save the pkt file to a new name. In this case you are going to have to replace the SA that is used in the corridor model.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 9
xquilax
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Thanks Peter,

Affirmatively I've renamed the subassembly in a diferent version name.

Is it possible to rename all the new files using the old name, and edit the .atc file class name call?

Message 7 of 9
durkie
in reply to: xquilax

I have a problem in C3D 2014. When I remove the subassembly from the Tool pallet they don't get removed in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2014\enu\Imported Tools folder. If I wan't to update the SA I need to remove there folder manually. Is there a solution that Civil removes the corresponding SA folder when I remove the SA from the Tool pallet?
Message 8 of 9

This doesn't work on my Civil 3D 2020. When importing SA to my palette I'm getting a following message:

The subassembly to overwrite is in use, please restart civil 3d and try again.

Message 9 of 9

Figured out that Navisworks also have to be closed if DWG containing the previous version of subassembly has been linked into Navisworks. Then it's working as described.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report