Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unselectable/disappearing viewports

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
12439 Views, 16 Replies

unselectable/disappearing viewports

Several of my co-workers and I have experienced viewports that for some unknown reason become unselectable. Also, if one jumps into model space through the viewport, it disappears completely. I thought I found a workaround in saving the drawing, closing cad, re-launching cad and re-opening the drawing but that doesn't always work. Viewports were all rectangular viewports drawn on layer defpoints. This has only happened on 3 or 4 drawings in the last couple months but I have no logical explanation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What disappears? Model Space?

Have you run an Audit on these files?

Bill

wrote in message news:5264859@discussion.autodesk.com...
Several of my co-workers and I have experienced viewports that for some
unknown reason become unselectable. Also, if one jumps into model space
through the viewport, it disappears completely. I thought I found a
workaround in saving the drawing, closing cad, re-launching cad and
re-opening the drawing but that doesn't always work. Viewports were all
rectangular viewports drawn on layer defpoints. This has only happened on 3
or 4 drawings in the last couple months but I have no logical explanation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

I've only seen this occur in one case, when a program that shall remain
nameless (not an Autodesk program) was used at some point in the process of
creating the drawing...

http://tinyurl.com/73og4
--

sm

Scott McEachron
DC CADD, Dallas - Fort Worth
http://c3dpavingtheway.blogspot.com/

wrote in message news:5264859@discussion.autodesk.com...
Several of my co-workers and I have experienced viewports that for some
unknown reason become unselectable. Also, if one jumps into model space
through the viewport, it disappears completely. I thought I found a
workaround in saving the drawing, closing cad, re-launching cad and
re-opening the drawing but that doesn't always work. Viewports were all
rectangular viewports drawn on layer defpoints. This has only happened on 3
or 4 drawings in the last couple months but I have no logical explanation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Model space remains, the rectangle drawn on layer defpoints to define the viewport disappears. One can jump between model and paper through the viewport. With all layers on and thawed, the viewport is unselectable. An audit was ran on two of the drawings to no avail.

The most recent drawing was started in LDT and a co-worker picked it up in C3D. To my knowledge, no other software but Autodesk was used.

Thanks.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

How many viewports do you have in the drawing? Check your MAXACTVP
variable and make sure it is greater than that number.

CJ

demus72 wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Model space remains, the rectangle drawn on layer defpoints to define the viewport disappears. One can jump between model and paper through the viewport. With all layers on and thawed, the viewport is unselectable. An audit was ran on two of the drawings to no avail.
>
> The most recent drawing was started in LDT and a co-worker picked it up in C3D. To my knowledge, no other software but Autodesk was used.
>
> Thanks.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

A couple of my coworkers have also experienced this problem. Was there ever an explaination as to why the viewports are becoming unselectable? I keep mine on their own layer, and sometimes the border just disappears, you can't select it anymore. You can hop into it and work on it, but forget about adjusting the properties or changing the location. The only thing you can do to fix it is to delete the whole tab and start again. Has anybody figured it out yet?
Message 7 of 17
sboon

Is it possible that you have one viewport inside another, or two viewports at the same location?
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 17
DSPatterson

I have had the same problem. I've found that if you turn on/thaw all the layers, then switch between sheets/tabs, that will enable the viewports for selection again. I have also changed my viewports to a new, non-plotable layer, just in case.
Message 9 of 17
dougnorton

Also, check if the defpoints (or whatever) layer is frozen in that viewport, either through having used the vplayer command, or by setting VP freeze in the layer dialog box. It shouldn't affect the viewport in paperspace, but it does.
Doug
Message 10 of 17
t_mckenzie

I don't know the actual issue, but I found a solution that works for us. We noticed that our vports that were on the layer defpoints would be "untouchable" whenever layer 0 was turned off or frozen. As several others mentioned, we now have a dedicated vports layer set to not plot.

Message 11 of 17
tjshaffer

Unfortunately, this still happens to me too.  After repeatedly trying different work-arounds I found this to be the easiest way to select my vport: 1] select the Pspace tab you need to be in  2] in 'Properties' palette click on 'Quick Select' at top right then in the 'Object type' drop-down select 'Viewport. "Value' field is ByLayer (see attached 'Quick Select' screen shot for settings).  3] Click OK and you should see the vport highlighted with grips.

Message 12 of 17
lostinthought005

Check your layers perhaps your veiw ports where on a frozen or off layer.

Message 13 of 17

It keeps disappearing but i figured out it is because of my layer states keep turning off th veiwports layer
Message 14 of 17
cfundyrun

Make sure layer 0 is unfrozen and defpoints is unfrozen.  Click into the model space tab, then back to paperspace.  Then REGEN.

Message 15 of 17
makatski

excellent. this helped! 

Message 16 of 17
evilla19
in reply to: t_mckenzie

This fixed the issue for me. Thanks, t_mckenzie
Message 17 of 17
mmcdowell7XRNN

When working with lots of viewports on multiple layouts in AutoCAD, users can run into a problem when they create a viewport, and it

disables or turns off a previous viewport, making its contents disappear.

This is usually solved by setting the MAXACTVP system variable to a higher number. This sets the maximum number of active viewports allowed in AutoCAD. The maximum is 64.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report