Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Command: (all commands)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
rkmcswain
7572 Views, 17 Replies

Unknown Command: (all commands)

A quick search didn't reveal anything on this, but I thought I would post this anyway. (C3D 2013 SP2)

The problem I'm having is all of a sudden, ONE drawing out of several that I may have open stops responding, and then if I switch to any other currently open drawing, I can zoom and pan with the mouse, but any other command - no matter how initiated, returns UNKNOWN COMMAND. Example below:

unknown2.png

You can click the "X" on the document and it just says UNKNOWN COMMAND "CLOSE"

You can click the "X" on the application and it just says UNKNOWN COMMAND "EXIT"

So you have to use Task Manager to close Civil 3D, and of course lose any unsaved work.

It seems like this has started happening more often after installing SP2 for C3D 2013.

I'm sending in the CER's......... 

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tcorey
in reply to: rkmcswain

Randy, what if you open a new drawing, then insert this drawing exploded. Does the error go away?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 18
DaveDrahn

What happens if you redefine any of those commands? Just wondering if someone's place a hacro in your system.
Message 4 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Randy, what if you open a new drawing, then insert this drawing exploded. Does the error go away?

It's not a drawing problem, it's more of a system problem.

This happens at random times with a variety of projects/drawings open.

Message 5 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: DaveDrahn

@Anonymous wrote:
What happens if you redefine any of those commands? Just wondering if someone's place a hacro in your system.

This is a system error, not a rogue macro or something.

To restate, when this occurs, you cannot initiate any command via any method, including "redefine"

Eventually, after you switch drawings (using CTRL+TAB) a few times, it will finally give up and return a fatal error.

Message 6 of 18
rl_jackson

This is a strange one, I would assume you have already done a repair/re-install

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 18
jmayo-EE

The program crashed when you see this. I am suprised at the suprise with this error. 🙂

When I see this all commands produce the same 'unknown command' response. I have found no way out of it. At this point the work is lost from the last save or autosave.

If autosave is on DO NOT close the program. Browse to your win temp folder and rename the autosave file, if it exists...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I think I first saw this in 09 or 10. I think there are also older posts here on this topic.

Seeing this happen to only one file is a bit new to me. When I see this in one file the others open in the same session also produce the error. Do you run multiple instance of C3D or are all files open in one session?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

Seeing this happen to only one file is a bit new to me. When I see this in one file the others open in the same session also produce the error. Do you run multiple instance of C3D or are all files open in one session?

John, what I meant is that one file (out of maybe 6 open, in ONE session) will stop responding.

What I mean by that is that only the windows cursor appears, you can't gain focus in the drawing window...

Then when you switch to a different drawing (in that same session), it acts normal (you can see the normal crosshairs), but none of the commands work - in ANY drawing

I know exactly when it happens because of the initial drawing that "stops responding".

The STRANGE part about this situation -- is that usually when a drawing locks up, the whole application locks up and you can't do anything.  But in this case, you can still switch drawings freely and zoom/pan around in them with the mouse....?!?!

Thanks for your comments.

Message 10 of 18
Ajilal.Vijayan

Even this happens randomly in C3D 2012 also.

In an opened session of AutoCAD ,after 4 or more files opened , switching between the opened drawings sometimes brings this issue.

And after some time the program crash.

Message 11 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: Ajilal.Vijayan

@Ajilal.Vijayan wrote:

Even this happens randomly in C3D 2012 also.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Message 12 of 18
alun.evans

This isn't just with Civil 3D. We're running Mechanical 2014 and regular 2014.

Had this happen a couple of times on a system I administer a few months ago and thought it may be something the operator had done. Now my own system has started doing the same.

My support company claims never to have encountered this problem, but the web has comments about this going back to previous versions. They suggested a clean re-install, like I have nothing better to do with my time!

It's becoming a major problem now that Autodesk needs to resolve.

Message 13 of 18
alun001

Had this problem a couple of times last year on a couple of systems and it was really annoying. The last week I'm getting it on a daily basis! I contacted our Autocad vendors service departmant and the guy I spoke to had never come across this issue before. He suggested the usual...have you tried re-installing Autocad?

Well, I tried that and I really have better things to do with my time than keep re-installing software.

Autodesk needs to address this problem. It's not like this is some cheap cd writing software or something. My company and others spend thousands of dollars every year and we need something reliable. Otherwise, Autodesk is gonna start loosing people to other cad software.

Message 14 of 18
DavidJField

Try

(setvar "savetime" 1)

I've also encountered this error on Civil 3D 2010-2014. When it happened today I thought I'd challenge the assumption that it disables all methods of command execution. Turns out it will still process LISP statements. I tried using the (command "save") first, but I didn't really expect it to work, and it didn't because that just enters the save command at the command prompt as if I had typed it in myself. It's been a while since I did much LISP, and I couldn't remember if there are any other ways to execute a command. However, I had turned off autosave earlier in the day because I was working in a drawing with large images and millions of pline contour vertices, so I tried the above, and the drawing immediately autosaved. It gave a fatal error about a minute later, but by then I had confirmed my fresh autosave file was a valid dwg file and was good to go.
David

Message 15 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Spoiler

I get it once every few weeks in 2014. I never seem to recall the steps that lead up to it. 

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 18
mbenedic

Try opening up options, click on the "Open and Save" tab, then under "ObjectARX Applications" change "Disable Load on Command" to Object detect and command invoke". It worked for me.
Message 17 of 18

It just happened to me. Here is a paste of what it did before crahsing. I was not doing anything special. Just going from layout to layout and plotting. I work with Civil3D 2014 the french version. I had the chance the program autosave just before. I did not lose too much work but still...

Commande: Spécifiez le coin opposé ou [TRajet/SPolygone/CPolygone]:

Commande:

Commande:

Commande: _copyclip 2 trouvé(s)

Commande: *Annuler*

Commande:

La discipline CIVIL est activée.

Enregistrement automatique vers C:\Users\ValoisA\appdata\local\temp\LAVV1-00222149-C01@C05_L-12169-M_1_1_6671.sv$ ...

Commande:

Commande:

*Annuler*

Commande:  Commande inconnue "LAYOUT_CONTROL".  Appuyez sur F1 pour obtenir de l'aide.

Commande:  Commande inconnue "LAYOUT_CONTROL".  Appuyez sur F1 pour obtenir de l'aide.

Commande: '_VIEWPLOTDETAILS Commande inconnue "AFFRAPPORTRACE".  Appuyez sur F1 pour obtenir de l'aide.

Commande: _QSAVE

Commande inconnue "SAUVERAP".  Appuyez sur F1 pour obtenir de l'aide.

I have no solution either to offer. The wizard in IT had no solutions. It seems to be something we need to live with.

Message 18 of 18
kkmizuta
in reply to: mbenedic

Thats works for me too, thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report