Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhandled Exceptions

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Prostang
940 Views, 7 Replies

Unhandled Exceptions

I went to start up Civil 3D 2013 this morning and I received two "unhandled exception"s.  One in acmapird.arx and one in acamap.arx.

I checked the Path environmental variable and I don't see any pointers to Autodesk folders.  I updated my MDAC from Microsoft.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike Madrid
Owner, MJM Consulting
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: Prostang

So does it get past these errors and let you in for normal working, or does it just crash each time and you can't work?

If the latter, try logging on to this machine as a different user (preferably someone that has never logged on to this machine) - this will create a new Windows profile and when you launch C3D a new C3D profile. Any different?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
Prostang
in reply to: rkmcswain

It does get past the errors and I can work.  I tried logging in as a test user and Civil 3D would not launch.

Mike Madrid
Owner, MJM Consulting
Message 4 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I tried logging in as a test user and Civil 3D would not launch

Sounds like a repair-install would make sense as C3D should start with every user account if it's correct installed and the workstations properties meets the system requirements.

It would also be interesting what exactly "not launch" means, does the ACAD.EXE never appear in the taskmanager? Or do you see the splash screen for a short moment and then it stops? Or do you see the C3D-application and then it disappears? Or do you get any message? ....

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 8
Prostang
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I would launch the appilcation and I would get a flash of a dialog box (too fast to see what it is) and then nothing.  I checked task manager and acad.exe was not running.  I thought of reinstalling, but that seems to be killing a fly with a hammer.  It also seems like the answer to almost everything I have run into.

Mike Madrid
Owner, MJM Consulting
Message 6 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I would get a flash of a dialog box (too fast to see what it is)

Do you have a screen recording software? If so start it before you start Civil3D as you can then play that movie in slow motion to see what appeared and disappeared.

>> I thought of reinstalling, but that seems to be killing a fly with a hammer.

Well, if you try to catch the fly with your hands instead you will need more time 😉

Anyway a repair install (done as  admin with disabled antivirus) is nothing bad, it just repairs what might be defect, it does not destroy anything. It's like a service for your car (without needing oil 😉 )

>> It also seems like the answer to almost everything I have run into.

Well, it might be an answer that is quite often used, but the reason is mentioned above: it does not do anything bad, but it can help and it's just a few minutes.

Anyway: in the situation that you can't even start Civil3D with a new user account you do have either the problems with the account or with Civil3D installation.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Its also easier to do when trying to help with a remote computer.  The more conventional processes require physically sitting at the computer and investigating, which ensures nothing is accidentally skipped, misinterpreted, etc.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
Prostang
in reply to: dgorsman

I attempted to Repair and was getting an error that the msi was not a valid installation package.  I then attempted to Reinstall and received the same error.  I then went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled.

The service pack 2 needed a reboot to install, but all is well now.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike Madrid
Owner, MJM Consulting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report