AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 71 of 100 (1,322 Views)

Re: Underwhelmed by Civil 3D 2014

04-05-2013 12:03 PM in reply to: neilyj

I don't quite follow that logic.  If it's a new sale, all the C3D features are 'new features', for a person who hasn't used the program before.  What difference does it make if it's been part of the program for 10 years or is a brand-new idea?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Distinguished Contributor
BMcAnney
Message 72 of 100 (1,204 Views)

04-09-2013 08:21 AM in reply to: troma

troma wrote:

I don't quite follow that logic.  If it's a new sale, all the C3D features are 'new features', for a person who hasn't used the program before.  What difference does it make if it's been part of the program for 10 years or is a brand-new idea?

Exactly. Someone who is not already using Civil 3D doesn't care what changed between the 2013 and 2014 releases, they care about what Civil 3D can do that their current solution does not do, regardless of when those features were added.

Mentor
ArchD
Message 73 of 100 (1,198 Views)

04-09-2013 08:31 AM in reply to: troma

I would rather have them work relentlessly improving a current product for 3-5 years fixing bugs as well as adding new features before finally releasing it as a new product than just addinging new features each year while introducing new bugs. Not only do I believe they would have a better product, but they would also have a happier customer base.

For the most part, Autodesk users do not use every feature they add, and they don't see the features they add because of it. But due to the fact that many versions are not backwards compatible, we are forced to upgrade to a newer version practically every year. When we do, we might not see that one new feature they added since the previous release, but the many added bugs are very noticeable and fustrating to say the least.

The current model is: "Please a few while we upsetting the masses."

Archie Dodge

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 64-bit
Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70 GHz
Nvidia Quadro K4000
32.0 GB RAM
Valued Contributor
Jasono2009
Message 74 of 100 (1,189 Views)

04-09-2013 08:45 AM in reply to: ArchD

Well put. Their current business model is unsustainable and I believe will lead to reduced sales. I will not regurgitate all that's been covered here but it's stunning how a  software company can finagle customers to pay them thousands each year to develop their product. And to top it off they still can't fix glaring problems like the QTO manager, Mass Haul, reporting, etc., etc., etc....

Contributor
pne123
Message 75 of 100 (1,155 Views)

04-09-2013 10:53 AM in reply to: Jasono2009

I skimmed this thread and a lot of the negative posts have a very narrow view.  There is a lot of reason updates might be needed.  A yearly schedule might be a bit much but since 2013 was released windows 8 has been released, new hardware developed and vanilla AutoCAD has been updated.  The software needs to be updated to insure that it is windows compatible.  Like the touch screen interface.  Vanilla AutoCAD is the foundation for many tier products not just civil 3d.  If Autodesk makes modifications to insure new functionality in plant 3d but did not release a new version of civil 3d to run on the new AutoCAD a lot of the same people would still complain that they are getting ignored and cannot use the new functionality.  We pay the subscription but do not always install every release and if we do we usually wait until the first service pack or hotfix.  The million dollar question is would you like to use the new features, that may lack some functionality, like pressure pipes that you know will be upgraded in a year or would you like to wait 4 yrs and use it then but lose the 3+ years of productivity and try to learn all new features at one time?  I will take the reduced functionality over nothing and I would like to spread out the learning curve over time.  

And on a side note, we have inroads and it is does not get used. 

Valued Contributor
Jasono2009
Message 76 of 100 (1,145 Views)

04-09-2013 11:13 AM in reply to: pne123

I could not disagree anymore. Your position is unfounded. When you say ".....lose the 3+ years of productivity..."  do you honestly mean that if I did not upgrade since 2011 that I would have lost anything in productivity? Let's see, I could still use Google Earth, the Mass Haul has not been fixed, QTO manager has not been fixed, reporting was never fixed, and I could go on. Bottom line: when you advertise a product as one thing and it turns out to be cronically another, that's false advertising. That's a slap in the face for the customers who develop their produce and pay thousands to do so. Try to discuss that point.

-Narrow minded

Contributor
pne123
Message 77 of 100 (1,140 Views)

04-09-2013 11:19 AM in reply to: Jasono2009

Losing functionality on the new feature.  I used pressure pipes on several jobs.  Did it suck that I could not dataset the network into a new drawing, yes. Did it suck I could not put the data in to a table, yes.  Was it still better than using gravity piping, yes.  Will I be able to do those things in this new release, yes.  Will I have to learn, setup, and create styles in all in this new release, nope. Can I still use the pressure pipe feature and enjoy the new functionality, yep.

Mentor
sfore
Message 78 of 100 (1,137 Views)

04-09-2013 11:21 AM in reply to: pne123

I think you're missing the point and the theme of this post....1 step forward, 2 steps back.  People want things to continue to work that once worked and/or people want things fixed that never worked but are advertised as working.

I wouldn't say a lot of the negative posts have a very narrow view.  Maybe some, but I'd say a lot of them are spot on.  I don't know about you, but I use just about every facet of Civil 3D in the various types of projects I work on.  I'm the one that has to answer for loss of time due to digging and figuring out why something that worked great in one version no longer works in the new version, like my infamous Point Cloud post.  I've even had Autodesk on the phone and was told development team is working on it.

We too wait until the first service pack or hotfix is released before implementation of a new version.  Not sure how long you've used C3D, but I've used it since 2006 with only 2 versions skipped (2009 and 2012) and I can say while I'll continue to use the program, it doesn't come without a lot of aggravation and time loss at the most inopertune times.  We know why Autodesk puts out releases every year - it's obvious, but trying to wrap my head around why Autodesk insists on putting out releases every year before it's ready and why things get broken from one version to the next is puzzling. 

Contributor
pne123
Message 79 of 100 (1,136 Views)

04-09-2013 11:22 AM in reply to: pne123

Losing google earth was a bummer but I still have 2012 installed on my computer so it is no big deal.  If I recall that was google's issue with the licensing agreement not autodesk. 

Contributor
pne123
Message 80 of 100 (1,122 Views)

04-09-2013 11:39 AM in reply to: pne123

I guess I have been lucky.  I moved over to C3d on its second or third release from LDD.  We do residential neighborhoods and commercial sites and have our own survey department.  I never had to use mass haul or point clouds so I have not had your frustration.  I do wish Autodesk products were more stable but after 20+ yrs I am used to the fatal errors and work arounds.  Maybe that is just sad on my part but I am not going to complain.  Our Bentley users have a more stable platform but they are just happy they finally got right click functionality.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.