Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwhelmed by Civil 3D 2014

99 REPLIES 99
Message 1 of 100
neilyj666
3140 Views, 99 Replies

Underwhelmed by Civil 3D 2014

Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the "new" features in Civil 3D 2014??Smiley Frustrated

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad-civil-3d/features.type-new

If it has the Live Maps feature as vanilla AutoCAD does then as the maps etc can't apparently be printed this renders what could be a great feature almost useless (presumably it's a licensing thing) and don't get me started on the Geotechnical Module only being available in the Suite edition of Civil 3D.

Hopefully there have been a lot of changes "under the hood" that they don't boast about and now it doesn't crash using gradings and they've fixed the Quick Profile Bug etc etcSmiley Wink

Obvioulsy I'll need to wait until it is released before I can be more critical....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
99 REPLIES 99
Message 2 of 100
dasindog
in reply to: neilyj666

The interoptibility with previous versions is good to see. Hopefully the pressure networks are ready to be used without being hacked together. I've given up on using them as it's just a pain in the ****. Generally yes, the new features are underwhelming at best. The software is overpriced so it should contain all features without having to purchase a "suite". If 2014 is stable we will use it but this is probably the end of our subscription either way.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 3 of 100
ToddRogers-WPM

I noticed that they have focused more on performance and stability this time opposed to "new" features that are worthless.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 100
neilyj666
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Did they succeed (realising you can't possibly comment on Beta testing without the Non Disclosure Agreement Police paying a visit)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 100
ToddRogers-WPM

Yes, for once.

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 100

That's good to here. If this opinion persists I will congratulate them.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 100
neilyj666
in reply to: AllenJessup

will have to wait a few weeks yet until it's finally released

EESignature

Message 8 of 100
TrevN

Apart from the normal guesses, Do we have an "Official" date for release?

Message 9 of 100
neilyj666
in reply to: TrevN

Not as far as I'm aware - so just guesses for now

EESignature

Message 10 of 100
jbear0000

I am starting to see less and less reasons to maintain Civil 3D subscriptions. My company has around 60 licenses of Civil 3D. 2013 didn't offer anything useful to us. Pressure pipes could have been useful, but they were so limited that there was no reason for us to upgrade everyone from 2012. Maybe pressure pipes will be useful in 2014, but after that, there isn't really anything else that I can even think of that I'd like to see except bug fixes. The slim chance that they will fix the bugs isn't worth paying thousands and thousands of dollars per year.

Message 11 of 100
mathewkol

Not sure which list you saw, but have a gander at this post.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Civil-3D-2014-New-Features/td-p/3816516

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 12 of 100
neilyj666

still not an essential upgrade though?

EESignature

Message 13 of 100
mathewkol

My point is not to pass judgement, only to inform.  I'll leave that opinion to each user.

I have several clients who, I anticipate, will find the backward compatibility irresistable.

Every time a new release is offered, I see the same old posts; "I don't see anything in this release that turns me on."  Not every release can be a blockbuster year after year, like when Civil 3D was young.  We're now seeing "normal" feature improvements.  Users simply have to decide if they are worth upgrading for themselves.  And also decide if they'll continue subscription.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 14 of 100
neilyj666
in reply to: mathewkol

if there are are major stability improvements then that would be worthwhile...but only time will tell

EESignature

Message 15 of 100
Cadguru42
in reply to: jbear0000

@jbear0000 wrote:

I am starting to see less and less reasons to maintain Civil 3D subscriptions. My company has around 60 licenses of Civil 3D. 2013 didn't offer anything useful to us. Pressure pipes could have been useful, but they were so limited that there was no reason for us to upgrade everyone from 2012. Maybe pressure pipes will be useful in 2014, but after that, there isn't really anything else that I can even think of that I'd like to see except bug fixes. The slim chance that they will fix the bugs isn't worth paying thousands and thousands of dollars per year.

If you don't stay with the subscription program then you'd have to wait approximately 10 years to get your return on investment back. If you upgrade your license anytime before 10 years then you've lost money since subscription is basically 10% of the license cost. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 16 of 100
Neilw_05
in reply to: Cadguru42

I was thinking the same thing. The new subscription policy pretty much makes you purchase the software at full price if you let it lapse for a year.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 17 of 100
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Neilw_05

It's actually 70%...almost full price.  Smiley Frustrated

Todd Rogers
Message 18 of 100
Jasono2009
in reply to: Cadguru42

About the subscription renewal - you are assuming they will stay with paying into a subpar software. C3D is not the only game in town by a long shot.

Message 19 of 100
ArchD
in reply to: Jasono2009

Seems to me that AutoDesk should release new releases only when there are major changes or in increments like every 3 or 5 years.. Upgrading each year is kind of silly. Instead, they should do a patch to fix the bugs and new minor features to the existing version.

I know they have to make money, but the headaches it causes to reinstall new software each year just to be able to read newer files from clients kind of makes me wish I could turn away from Civil 3D. The backward capability is a huge sigh of relief though. Hopefully they keep that going for years to come.

But, regarded the new features, that geotechnical modeling piqued my interest. Is that boring hole or piezometer locations that are being shown? Is 2014 a bit more gypsum stack type designs friendly? Is Infrastructure Design more for waste water management than Civil 3D is?

I like Civil 3D, but for complex designs that we do, gypsum stacks, many features like corridors can't be used too easily.

I'm just trying find the best product for my company and with this first post, it has me interested in Infrastructure Design.

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 20 of 100
dgorsman
in reply to: ArchD

With software development its not always possible to add things with just a patch, more so with something like Civil3D which is heavily dependant on interrelated data.  How do they add new features like pipe networks such that they won't kill the program if somebody didn't get a previous patch?  There's also some development compatibility problems along the lines why the 2012 release will never be "officially" patched to run on Win8 or later.

It also adds more complexity to technical support - did they install Patch 1?  What about Patch 2?  Do they even know?  What order did they add them?  If they applied Patch 2 without Patch 1, and they don't want to, then will they accept their problem won't be fixed?  That applies for those answering questions here as well.

Finally, the complaints will almost certainly switch from "Its too buggy for what I'm paying, they should stop adding features and make it work!" to "I'm not seeing anything new for what I'm paying, they should make it do what I want!" - I'm already seeing that for the new products.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report