Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Import STM file into Civil 3D

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
fcernst
1061 Views, 7 Replies

Unable to Import STM file into Civil 3D

I executed Edit in Storm Sewers to work on the Pipe Network in Civil 3D. I made some changes in Storm Sewers, now I want to Import back to Civil 3D.

Nothing is happening in Civil 3D when I try to Import with either of the choices, picking Overwrite or to Create a new pipe network. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I have attached the drawing file and the STM file.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: fcernst

Fred, I don't know what's wrong with that drawing file, but I can create a new drawing and import your STM just fine. I cannot import into the drawing you attached.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8
fcernst

Thank you Tim.

You said new file...So with 2013 SP1, in your other drawings, can you send out a network to Storm Sewers, make changes, and bring it back into Civil 3D to update the network in the existing drawing just fine?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 8
tcorey

Hi Fred,

Using other drawings, I can export to STM, modify in Storm Sewers, save STM, import STM back into the same c3d drawing, modifying the existing network.

Using the drawing you attached with the STM you attached, I could not insert into the dwg, but I could insert your STM into a new dwg.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 8
fcernst
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, and that's 2013 SP1?

I could import that file into a new drawing as you mention, just can't get it back into the original drawing as you mention.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 8
tcorey

Yes, 2013 with SP1.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 8
jim
Explorer

We are having the same problem trying to re-import an STM file back into our original drawing to overwrite the pipe network.  It doesn't work.  Did anyone ever come up with a fix or work-around for this?  We are on C3D 2013 with all SP's updated.

Thanks,

Meredith Hammill

Latham-Walters Engineering

C3D SP1

Windows 7 SP1

Dell Intel Xeon CPU E31225 @ 3.10 GHz

64-bit 16G Ram

Message 8 of 8
mohsen.zare
in reply to: jim

I still have same problem, however my colleague was able to solve the importing problem. What needs to be done is to make sure that the correct "Parts List" is chosen as for "Parts List Used for Migration". You can edit this feature in "Settings" tab in your toolspace by right clicking on the Pipe Network and choosing to edit the features.

This did solve the importing problem for me but the imported network had a shape nothing like what it was supposed to look like.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report