Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete file

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
AllenJessup
837 Views, 11 Replies

Unable to delete file

Yesterday I had a problem with Adobe Acrobat Standard 8. I had to use Task Manager to shut it and a couple of other unresponsive programs down. I don't know it that's what cause the problem or if the cause was common to faults in multiple programs.

After I shut down the other programs the next time I tried to same my C3D file I got a "File is write protected" warning. I saved the drawing under another name. I opened the folder in explorer and tried to delete the original file so I could rename the new file to the original name. I got a message that the file couldn't be deleted because it was in use by Autocad Launcher. After a couple of tries I rebooted the machine. When I tried to delete the file after the reboot I got a message that the file was being used by a user, me.

I decided to shut down the computer for the night and thought that after a night there wouldn't be any trouble. This morning I get a message that the file is being used by another person or program and still can't delete it. This also goes for the DWL & DWL2 files. But I can delete the BAK file. The files reside on our server.

I don't think I've ever seen files keep this type of association through multiple reboots. I can go through the painful process of asking our IT to delete them. But that could take days and I'd like to get the file renamed so the Data Shortcuts that reference it will work. I was working on revising Alignments when this happened.

Allen Jessup, Rockland County Highway Department
Windows XP Pro, SP3
Dell Precision T7400, Xenon X5460, 3.2 GHz, 4 (3.25) GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600, 768MB, driver Ver 6.14.0011. 9178
Powerdraft OpenGL drivers Ver 17.2.2
C3D-SP2.1 (Version 3.1), LDTC & RD 2009

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

I had this probelm once.  Go into your drawing folder and delete the corresponding .dwl files.  This fixed it for me, hope it helps.

Fred Mitchell

G&A

Message 3 of 12
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't delete them either.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Close civil 3d and then try to delete them.  If that doesn't work then try opening your read only drawing and close it without saving.  After that, I'm spent...I'd call your reseller and get some technical support.

Fred Mitchell

G&A

Message 5 of 12
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

I've tried deleting with C3D closed and I've tried directly after a reboot and first thing this morning. I can only open the drawing as Read-Only since the machine thinks someone else is using it. You're right. Time to call the reseller!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
AllenJessup

I've solved the immediate problem by creating a new folder, copying all the good files into that folder, renaming the old folder with the bad files in it, renaming the new folder to the old folder name and restoring the files from backup. That way all the data shortcuts still work. It did want me to do a repair on some references but they all seem to work. I'm leaving it up to IT to eventually delete the files.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Hi Allen I have had the very same problem. I have no proof but believe it to be some lag in the server. I have returned the next day and the files were deletable. I think I also cleared it by resetting the licence file.

Joe

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
AllenJessup
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

I had waited overnight and the files were still there. I still can't delete them this morning. I'm beginning to think the problem might be a bad sector on the server. Are you working with a network license or a stand alone?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Network license. I'm surprised it was not free'd up this morning. Maybe if the license can be reset it will release?

joe

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
AllenJessup

This is the second morning. Since I've found a way to keep working I'm going to leave those files to our IT dept.

Thanks again

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Please keep us posted to any solution IT comes up with

Thanks, Joe

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
AllenJessup

I will but don't hold your breath. I checked before lunch and they still hadn't opened the e-mail that was sent yesterday morning. When they get around to it they probably won't tell me anything other that they've erased them. Since they will read the original e-mail first. They will probably delete the good file I've managed to replace the locked file with. So I'm keeping multiple backups.

Fun will be had!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report