Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Change Drawings

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Cre9engr
678 Views, 8 Replies

Unable to Change Drawings

I'm having difficulties switching between drawings in Civil 3D 2014 w Service Pack 2 and Windows 7.  I did not have this problem before I installed Service Pack 2.

I'm running Civil 3D with the Windows taskbar located on the right hand side of the monitor (see attached screen shot #1), and like any normal engineer, I end up with multiple drawings open to complete my tasks.  I need to switch to another drawing, and click on the Autocad icon in the taskbar then click on the drawing I need to switch to.  Instead of switching to the selected drawing, Civil 3D will adjust the size of the window in my original drawing (see attached screen shot #2).  It nevers switches to the other drawing.  I have to click on the drawing I want to switch to 5 to 8 times just to get the program to switch to that drawing.  It's becoming extremely annoying.

I never had this problem prior to installing Service Pack 2.  It only occured after I installed Service Pack 2 for Civil 3D 2014.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
-Civil 3D user since 2007
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jay_B
in reply to: Cre9engr

Enter SDI @ command line and set it to zero.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
Cre9engr
in reply to: Jay_B

SDI is already set to 0, and I'm still having the same problems.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 4 of 9
Jay_B

So you are able to switch dwgs but must do it by clicking the AutoCad application on Win Taskbar correct?

How are you used to switching between dwg's? (Reason I ask is I notice DWG tabs are turned off in your screen shot).

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 9
Cre9engr

You are correct.  

I have the tabs turned off as a personal decision to squeeze a couple more pixels out of my monitor for the model space. I also moved the command line, properties tool palette, and inquiry tool to another monitor to squeeze more pixels out of my monitor.

I would prefer to keep the tabs turned off, but I recently turned them back on so that I can spend more time working on payable work instead of fighting with Civil 3D.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 6 of 9
tanys_haye

You can try using the ctrl+tab option to switch between multiple opened drawings (sometimes I find this to be the quickest using a more command line based approach to create my drawings).

That, or try the 'Window' drop down menu located along the top of the screen. That should show you all of the drawings you have open also.

Message 7 of 9
Jay_B

Does Switch windows function normally if the dwg tabs are enabled?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 9
Cre9engr

Tanys ->  I'm aware of ctrl-tab to switch drawings, but my fingers keep tripping over themselves as I try to use the ctrl-tab option.  I feel like I'm at the prom without a date and two left feet everytime I try to use the ctrl-tab option.

Jay ->  With the tabs turned on, it currently appears to function without any problems.  I say currently because who knows what other problem I'm going to encounter an hour from now.  At the moment, I have turned the tabs back on.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 9 of 9
Jay_B

Fred,

If you don't like the tabs, another option is to add the Switch Windows to the Quick Access Toolbar, which doesn't take up much screen space.

switch windows.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report