Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

”ultimate” CAD computer

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2229 Views, 5 Replies

”ultimate” CAD computer

We are getting ready to do a complete system upgrade on our computers and server.  We are going to order new workstations for 7 people and was wondering what your ultimate cad setup would be?  We have to be cost aware but we don't want to skimp on performance.  Someone mentioned Dell but I wanted to get some input before I meet with the owners to see which path we go down.  If you know the rough cost of your system, could you put it in the reply.

Thanks in advance.

Ren

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm happy with my set up but no idea how much it cost - I think the IT dept got a decent deal.

There are many threads dealing with this if you search,,,,

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 6
Neilw_05

I have to say my machine is a horrible dog when it comes to working in C3D, and the specs are certainly not bad so I don't blame it on the PC. It makes me want to change careers.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I work a lot with geophysical imaging using Mesa and Rock Works as well as Civil 3D. For the past 20 years I used either Xi Computer or SuperMicro Work Stations.  Xi custom builds CAD work stations.  I find them to be reliable and scalable. Normally I set them up as multi-boot with different operating systems on different drives. Currently they are using a SuperMicro  multiprocessor mother board that can address over 1TB of ram.  Check out the reviews in Cadalist Magazine 

http://www.cadalyst.com/hardware/workstations/how-configure-a-workstation-cad-14058

http://xicomputer.com/

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/superworkstation.cfm

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 5 of 6
neilyj666

...and of course no computer, no matter how high end, can cope with Civil 3D's quirks i.e. Not Responding, Random Crashes, endless grading rebuilds, grading crashes etc etc.....Smiley Wink

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: neilyj666

Don't forget about the meatware... nothing works without that.

Dell and HP are OK if you need to reliably source dozens of boxes on a regular basis, experience large staffing surges, etc.  With large corporate orders you usually get extra benefits (MS support credits were mentioned by our IT at one point).  With only 7 boxes you *might* get away with hand-building them, but you are probably best served with one of the mid-range suppliers like Xi or Boxx.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report