Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tying a feature line to a surface

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
losfotos
1820 Views, 47 Replies

Tying a feature line to a surface

I created a label for retaining wall that takes the z value from the start and end of a feature line. Works great except that it isn't dynamic. I have created the feature line in a grading sheet where the surface is data shortcut into it and I'm just using grips to make sure the ends are on the bottom and top of the retaining wall. Is there any way to dynamically pin/tie the feature line to a surface that has been data shortcut?

Thanks!

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
DaveM
in reply to: losfotos

Its definately a work around, but you could past the data shorcut surface into a new surface and then add the feature line to the new surface.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 48
jmayo-EE

Instead of using grips to get the correct elevation you can use the Feature Lines Elevations From Surface command?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 48
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Hi John 🙂
I think the op is looking to tie the geomtry in the event the wall moves horizontaly

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 48
losfotos

Same difference really isn't it John? What I am actually looking for is a way to tie the feature line to the surface so if it moves vertically it will update without me having to do it. What I am scared about with this way of labeling is that something gets changed by one of my engineers, I don't know it's happened and a plan goes out with a bad elevation. I know this just never happens but it's my fear... 🙂 Am I just wishing against hope here?

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 6 of 48
losfotos
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, I'm more worried about vertical moves as they aren't noticeable.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 7 of 48
Joe-Bouza

I misinterperted. I thought it was part of the geometry and site. The, surface elevation label is the way to go. You may even consider alignmrnt/ surface profile and alignment labels

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 48
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I think Joe hit the nail on the head with alig & prof. The profile is the only object that will get elev's automatically. With this said you create an alignment & srf profile at the bld outline. Place alignment labels that have a reference text object to extract the elv from the profile.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 48
jmayo-EE

Thought I replies to losfotos....

What's up over there on the island Joe? Keeping busy?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 48
losfotos

Hey John, thanks for the thoughts.

Doing alignments on this site is just not going to work. I have probably 60+ retaining walls on it. I'll just use the feature line and line label I think and hope and pray that my team keeps me informed of any changes (seems I'll be making the changes so it will probably be okay). Not ideal by far, but at least it isn't two separate labels.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 11 of 48
jmayo-EE

Yeah I know. It may be a bit easier if Alignment from Object doesn't work on Feature lines and would create multiple alignments from disconnected plines in one shot...:)

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 48
losfotos

LOL, there is that. There are lots of things that 'could' be easier. But alas they aren't. Autocad is more interested in adding bells and whistles than real substance it seems. I could be wrong though. Of course if one could just pin a feature line to a surface that would make it super simple.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 13 of 48
jmayo-EE

Oh it's easy for all and any of us to find improvements. I was kinda hinting at a wishlist item. I think they do pretty well trying to keep all of us happy with all of our various demands. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 48
losfotos

Oh I could probably come up with a wish list.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 15 of 48
losfotos

Actually for a specific wishlist item: Being able to glue/tie a feature line to a data shortcut surface interactively would be nice. I've done quite a few projcts where that would have been very handy.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 16 of 48
jmayo-EE

I would use a FLine dynamic link to a surface everyday if we had one. A very good wish. You should post it to the Wishlist forum.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 48
losfotos

I will, thanks for your thoughts on this problem John.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 18 of 48
MikeEvansUK

Try civil3d reminders for a super sweet 3dpolyline to alignment & profile tool.
Think it's free too.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 19 of 48
Joe-Bouza

Now if the planimetric work is done as alignments to begin with then creating 200 retaining walls would be a breeze 🙂

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 20 of 48
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

I would use a FLine dynamic link to a surface everyday if we had one. A very good wish. You should post it to the Wishlist forum.

I know it's a pain not having it in the core of Civil 3D. But it is available in a 3rd party program, Sincpac. I couldn't get it purchased so I bought it myself. Being able to link featurelines and points to a surface has saved my sanity on occasion. I work with an Engineer who thinks that it's perfectly OK to start "tweaking" a surface when the stakeout data needs to go out the door that day. I can edit the surface and have the elevation of the points I set for stakeout update automatically.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report