Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two windows or two instances of civil 3d 2012

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lambertb
1645 Views, 6 Replies

two windows or two instances of civil 3d 2012

Anyone have pros and cons of using two instances versus two windows? I ahve alignments and corridors in seperate files so I am always using both. Does two instances utilize multi-core processors better?

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: lambertb

I try to avoid two instances of AutoCAD as each one loads into memory. If you use a single instance and open two drawings, you only have the AutoCAD program loaded into memory once.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
Neilw_05

I don't typically open 2 sessions at once but I can see the advantage of that if you have more then one display and want to work with the data side by side.

If there is nothing in the knowlegebase it would be worthwhile to file a support request on that one and post the response.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 7
dgorsman

If you have enough RAM, and you can let one application chew on a long-term processing job while working on the other, you might get away with it.  Just remember, though, that Civil3D has a single registry location for each profile, so while you have two sessions running if they are using the same AutoCAD profile there may be some "last one out wins" problems with settings storage.  Otherwise it may be more efficient to structure the work process.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
lambertb
in reply to: dgorsman

Here is some guidance from C3D support.

I understand you would like to know if there are any performance benefits or inhibitors based on having two instances open or multiple drawings in one instance of Civil 3D. Although we have no official tests or documentation of this, I can discuss my personal observations.

Typically in support I will have at least 3 versions of Civil 3D up and running, and each with multiple drawings open.

This is how I operate throughout the day. Typically this will run smoothly, but if I do experiencing some lag it is typically due to the drawing size or the amount of references attached and not really due to the amount of windows open. That’s not to say that sometime I need to close down all applications and reboot my machine to clear memory once in a while as you can definitely see performance improve after that.

So although this is subjective, if you have a rather robust machine, it should be able to handle multiple drawings and multiple applications open at the same time. Test machine has 12 GB RAM and Xeon 2.67GHz processor. Please let me know if any of this helps.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 6 of 7
Neilw_05

Thanks for posting the support response.

Good info.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 7
BrianHailey

As others have suggested, I would go with 1 instance of Civil 3D with multiple drawing open unless you need to have access to data within the two drawing simultaneously. You can't open a dialog box (such as editing a style) in one drawing and then, with it still open, switch to another drawing. If you need that ability, two instances would be the way to go.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report