Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Off Stretch Vertex

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
dbinkney
19207 Views, 12 Replies

Turn Off Stretch Vertex

how do I turn off the new "stretch" vertices?

I am finding that I click to select a line, and start typing commands, only to find out they aren't registering b/c I have selected that un-needed extra vertex in the middle of every pline segment.

I have checked the Options, and cannot find how to turn those off. They were not in 2008.

thanks for any advice...

Civil 3D 2011

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dbinkney

Type in OS, go to the 3D Object Snap and try unchecking Vertex.  If not you could try hitting the F3 key, this toggles the snaps on and off but not sure if this is what you want.  HTH

Message 3 of 13
dbinkney

I am going to answer my own question, b/c I figured it out.

You can't turn them off, but you can turn off the hover menu so you can work right thru the hover issue I was having.

Options>Selection>unclick "show dynamic grip menu"

yay!

Thanks to the other responder

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks dbinkney

This has been a pain in my back end for far too long! Can't believe how easy it was to fix!

Cheers! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
BrianHailey

Now, if you read my blog on a regular basis...

My Gripe with Grips

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: BrianHailey

I love the dynamic grips and use them daily with plines and hatches but that menu is annoying for all the reasons you all stated. I'll add to the list of annoyances that the popup hides a lot of the dynamic input display. I often need to zoom out when I need to read a raduis or length dimension on screen. I also don't like how in certain zoom situations you try to select the pop up but it is a bit too far from the cursor and it disappears before you can select from it.

Along with your great tip Brian I think this could also work better as a right-click option.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
troma

I personally would read your blog much more if it had an RSS feed. If it has one, I can't find it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 13
tcorey

Brian, I read your blog about how when you stop moving your crosshairs all types of menus and tooltips appear.

I have a solution: Never stop moving your crosshairs!. Smiley LOL

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 13
BrianHailey
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:
I personally would read your blog much more if it had an RSS feed. If it has one, I can't find it.

Look at that! My RSS link is gone. I'll have to fix that one!

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you Thank you Thank you
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Great tip, the obtrusive popup grip menu is very irritating.  It would certainly be better as a right-click menu that pops up when I ask it to.

Unfortunately the Preference/option you suggested is not available on the Mac version (I'm seriously lamenting not going with the Windows/Parallels version).

To disable this on the mac, follow this advice:

http://www.cad-notes.com/autocad-tip-turning-off-multifunctional-grips/

Multifunctional grips are controlled by GRIPMULTIFUNCTIONAL system variable.

• If you change it to 0, then it turns off multifunctional grips completely.
  • If you change it to 1, then you still can use grip for editing and switch between options by pressing [ctrl] key.
  • If you set it to 2, then you still can edit using grip by accessing menu like image above.
  • If you use 3, then you can access this grip for editing both using [ctrl] key and menu. This is the default value.

I set it to "1" which disables the menu, but you can hit Ctrl during a grip drag to switch between the three modes.

Message 12 of 13
gaweinls
in reply to: Anonymous

SYSVAR - proper!

Message 13 of 13
Jerry_Barnes
in reply to: jmayo-EE

"I also don't like how in certain zoom situations you try to select the pop up but it is a bit too far from the cursor and it disappears before you can select from it." 

You may already know this, but you can hover over a dynamic grip and simply type in the first letter of the command you want (e.g. "A" for Add vertex) and the action is carried out. This removes having to chase that pop-up around, watching it disappear from view at exactly the wrong time. Additionally, it greatly speeds up vertex editing, and saves wrist wear and tear. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report