Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tunnel Scan surveying deliverables

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
SeattleC3D
1764 Views, 7 Replies

Tunnel Scan surveying deliverables

Hello,

We are going to hire a Survey company to do a lazer scanning for our tunnel. What i have in mind for the deliverables are:

1) Point clouds for the whole tunnel

2) Civil 3D TIN surfaces for every 500 feet.

Any suggestions or experiences from you? Please give me your advices

Thanks,

Dennis 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
wfberry
in reply to: SeattleC3D

If you are going to have a point cloud on the inside of a tunnel, Civil 3D is not for you.  Civil 3D cannot handle points that represents a single surface, like one above another.  I.E., you cannot have points that are directly above one another.  

Bill

Message 3 of 8
SeattleC3D

I have thought about this already? Since C3D can not handle vertical points to generate the surfaces. I will ask them to cut the tunnel into 2 separate sections, top and bottom or left and right tunnels, then rotate them horizontally and generate a tin with horizontal points. When putting the tunnel together, they must rotate back to proper angles.... i am not sure what or how to do this just yet?

Any other suggestions? experiences?

Message 4 of 8
sboon

What does the cross section of the tunnel look like?  Round pipe, arch, box, other?  Are you expecting fairly smooth regular walls or very rough irregular sections?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 8
HansSMS

I had a subcontractor do a laser scan of a 800m section of tunnel, he deliverd a plain AutoCAD mesh. This was really useful for collision detection for a conveyor design, this is what we wanted the scan for. How he produced it I unfortunately can't tell you. Probably used his scanning software. Sorry, not a big help, but it may point you in the right direction.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 6 of 8
Cadguru42

This sounds more like something for Revit to do than Civil 3D. Do you have IDSP or IDSS?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 8
DEVR3965

We have just released a beta version this month – VRMesh Triangulation for AutoCAD 2014. It is easy to convert large point cloud into mesh (one click solution) in AutoCAD Civil 3D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hDB6SUjZU) and then generate cross-section curves.

There is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ll2miw9y5Q) to show how to calculate the cross sectional area of a mine tunnel. Pleae feel free to contact us if help is needed. 

Message 8 of 8
nilesh33

Hi,

Since, principle of triangulation in civil 3d does not allow to have two or more points with same X,Y with different elevation. 

Also with this principle, triangulation is between nearest X,Y co-ordinates. For wall triangulation, we need to trianualte between 'nearest elevation'.

So, rotating surfaces or point in different plane will not work. 

for what purpose you want this surface in Civil 3d? Other wise you can try autocad mesh.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report