Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TTM file from C3D?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
alberto_go
16659 Views, 11 Replies

TTM file from C3D?

I am trying to export a finished road (with Corridors, FG, and the whole enchilada) to Trimble, so that our surveyor can import it into Trimble Geomatics Office (TGO) and review it.....

How can we do that??

Thanks!

- Alberto
C3D 2007, SP3 Message was edited by: alberto_go
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: alberto_go

alberto_go wrote:
> I am trying to export a finished road (with Corridors, FG, and the
> whole enchilada) to Trimble, so that our surveyor can import it into
> Trimble Geomatics Office (TGO) and review it.....
>
> How can we do that??

Trimble Link for Civil 3D can export TTM files, but TTM is a surface
definition for Trimble. The "whole enchilada" that you speak of is
exported as a .JOB file, not a TTM file.

Try looking over the paper located at
http://www.civil3d.com/2007/11/trimble-dimensions-2007-handout/

This is pretty in-depth with making Civil 3D and Trimble work well
together - we go through everything in pretty good detail. Please let
me know if it helps.

Thanks,

--
Jason Hickey
www.civil3d.com
www.eng-eff.com
Message 3 of 12
alberto_go

Thanks Jason,

I'll take a look at it... and I'll make sure our surveyor does the same, since he's been a little tough to sell C3D so he can start using it in the company's processes...

Thanks!

- Alberto
Message 4 of 12
Sinc

I tried looking at that post, and could not access the PDF. It just seems to hang...
Sinc
Message 5 of 12
alberto_go

It takes a little while to download... it's a 7 MB PDF file...
Message 6 of 12
Sinc

OK, I got it. Just wasn't waiting long enough.
Sinc
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

sinc wrote:
> OK, I got it. Just wasn't waiting long enough.

It's a long white paper, with lots of pretty pictures 😉

--

Jason Hickey
www.civil3d.com
www.eng-eff.com
Message 8 of 12
alberto_go

Jason/Sinc,

I was looking in that information package, and I think it was great!... however, it does not mention anything in regards exporting/creating TTM from C3D.... 😞
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

alberto_go wrote:
> Jason/Sinc,
>
> I was looking in that information package, and I think it was
> great!... however, it does not mention anything in regards
> exporting/creating TTM from C3D.... 😞

Sure it does - it's under "exporting surfaces." Everything else is
exported as a .JOB file.

--

Jason Hickey
www.civil3d.com
www.eng-eff.com
Message 10 of 12
Sinc

I was hoping you might have something in there that would help us solve the issues we're having with "Export Road", but I fear there is no solution at this time. But just in case, this is what we're running into... Is there any way around these issues, or is it in the realm of "wishing"?

The basic issue we run into is that we regularly do not have an existing ground surface. We have plans for a roadway, with typical sections, but no real EG. So we can't really build a corridor with Daylight subassemblies, and target them to the EG surface in C3D.

In the "old days", this wasn't a problem. But without a target, the Daylight subassemblies are deleted from the built corridor, and never make it to the "Export Road" routine.

And even when we DO have (or can manage to fake) an EG surface, the conditions may be different when the roadway is actually slopestaked. So a station that may look like it's in a cut situation in the computer is really in a fill situation when the field guy gets out there to stake it. Unfortunately, the current behavior of the "Export Road" routine does not seem to function in a manner that allows this to be easily-fixed. True, if the outside catch points are converted to slopes, it DOES create a slope that goes in both directions. But it uses the same slope for both, so it doesn't work for situations where we need (e.g.) a 4:1 slope in cut situations, and a 3:1 slope in fill situations.

We've been able to make SOME use of this stuff. For example, we can omit the daylight slopes from our corridor model. Then we do "Export Road" to dump out the job file, which we then convert to a DC file and dump back into TGO. Then, in TGO, we can add the final cut/fill slopes to the outside of each template. But this involves a lot of manual work in TGO, which we'd prefer to omit.

So, any of this sound familiar?
Sinc
Message 11 of 12
darci2G3QK
in reply to: Anonymous

Is this white paper still available?

http://www.civil3d.com/2007/11/trimble-dimensions-2007-handout/

I've been asked by a contactor to convert by Civil3D surface to a ttm file and I don't know how to do that.

Message 12 of 12
LucasHicks
in reply to: darci2G3QK

You can export the surface as a xml.  That will work in Trimble data collectors.  You can also export alignments, etc as xml to work in data collectors.

OpenRoads Designer, Civil 3D

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report