Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Aligning Different Subassemblies at an Intersection

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
bryancollins3174
1108 Views, 29 Replies

Trouble with Aligning Different Subassemblies at an Intersection

I am having an troublesome issue with my Corridor.  It involves the intersection of a main road alignment and a secondary road. Thing is my main road has a 6' shoulder whereas my secondary road doesn't have a shoulder at all. I used the Intersection Wizard to create the Intersection, but the two templates don't align. Without the shoulder the ditches don't line up. I tried drawing a polyline between the two ditches and targeting it and that worked, but then realized that going from 6' shoulder to no shoulder wasn't working either so when I tried to target a polyline from the 6' shoulder to the edge of pavement all kind of stuff happened that didn't make sense to me. Not sure how I should go about solving this issue. Also I'm going from 66' R/W on the main road to a 50' R/W on the secondary road.

I've attached some screen grabs and will post more screen grabs as necessary/requested.

Riverview Rd is the Main Rd and Renew Rd is the Secondary Rd for reference.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
sboon
in reply to: bryancollins3174

I am assuming that you want to taper the first link to the right of the assembly centerline (the brown one) from normal width down to zero as you go around the curve.  I can see the white curve you have drawn in plan and I'm guessing that is your control line.  Which subassemblies are you using in this corridor?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 30
bryancollins3174
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

Yes I would like to taper from normal 6' sholder width down to zero shoulder width as it rounds the intersection curve.

The main road (Riverview) full section assembly is made of following Subassemblies: LanesuperelevationAOR, ShoulderVerticalSubbase, LinkWidthAndSlope, LinkWidthAndSlope, DaylightInsideROW

The secondary road (Renew) full section assembly is made of following Subassemblies: LanesuperelevationAOR, LinkWidthAndSlope, LinkWidthAndSlope, DaylightInsideROW

The secondary road (Renew) Curb Return Fillet is made of following Subassemblies: LanesuperelevationAOR (to the left of the crown angled away), ShoulderVerticalSubbase, LinkWidthAndSlope, LinkWidthAndSlope, DaylightMaxOffset (which I might need to change to DaylightInsideROW as well)

See the 2nd previously attached image for Renew Curb Return Fillets.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 30
sboon

So the brown link which I'm assuming you want to taper is the unpaved portion of ShoulderVerticalSubbase - correct?

Looking at the help file for that sub, it appears that you cannot control that width using a target parameter.  You may want to replace it with something else.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 30
bryancollins3174

Steve,

What Subassembly would you recommend over the current one being used? It was the only one that I ran across that allowed me to have a Grass/Unpaved Shoulder and I tried a few of them. I just zeroed out everything for the Paved part and used the Unpaved part of the Subassembly.

Thanks.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 6 of 30
sboon

LinkWidthAndSlope should work, since you're not using it to create road structure.  Just change the point and link codes to suit.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 30
bryancollins3174

What do you mean change the Point and Link Codes to suit?

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 30
sboon

Look at the help file for the shoulder sub.  Down at the bottom is the coding diagram.  In this case you're trying to use a generic sub to replicate the L2 link and the P3 point.  If you want the LinkWidthAndSlope to create the same feature lines, and have the same look in your corridor then you'll need to change the codes to match.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 30
fcernst

Shoulders have structure. Typically base and gravel, topsoil...

The Generic subassemblies will not give you a proper Datum for earthwork, nor correct material quantities.

Just use a Lane AOR subassembly for your shoulders in the curb return assembly and be able to transition it wherever you want.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 30
bryancollins3174

Okay I changed the Renew Curb Fillets Assembly to use the LinkWidthAndSlope Subassembly for the grass shoulder. I also changed the P2 and Top,Datum codes to P3 and L2 per your instructions. When I rebuilt the corridor the plan view shoulder line changed from reddish brown color to a magenta color. Is that supposed to happen if I changed the codes properly? Or were you referring to how the Cross Sections would look? I haven't created Cross Sections for the secondary road yet so no clue on that part.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 11 of 30
sboon

Not quite.  L2 and P3 are the names used within the subassembly.  The codes assigned to them are listed just above the diagram.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 30
bryancollins3174

Confused. See attached to see what I set in the SA properties. If this isn't correct then what do I to change it or adjust the Codes that go with the Point/Links?

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 13 of 30
sboon

The point code would be ES_Unpaved and the Link codes would be Top,Datum.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 14 of 30

I just read what Fred posted. Will using the LinkWidthAndSlope SA mess up my volumes and/or Cut/Fill? I used it for my ditches as well.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 15 of 30

Thanks for clearing that up for me Steve. Okay I fixed the point and link codes and the reddish brown colors match up. I then went and targeted the white curved line, but something isn't right. Please see attached. Targeting the white line pushed a second ditch into the road itself. Man this corridor stuff is confusing.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 16 of 30
sboon

Not necessarily.  It all depends on what your cross section is supposed to look like.  Currently you should have a paved shoulder structure, and then the unpaved shoulder that we're trying to change the width of.  Fred is pointing out that the unpaved shoulder link we're using has no thickness to it, so there won't be any gravel structure in this area.

What does your typical section look like?  Is there supposed to be gravel shoulder?

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 17 of 30
bryancollins3174

No, out design calls for a grass shoulder only. Did you see the other problem I posted right after this question?

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 18 of 30
fcernst

Everything in Civil engineering has structure, even grass. We can not leave subgrade bare anywhere due to erosion.

We do not seed subgrade, because it won't grow properly.

Grass needs 6" min. of topsoil structure to grow properly, resist our calculated shear stresses imposed by flowing water, and prevent erosion.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 19 of 30
sboon

Trying to answer two at once here...

Are you sure that you're targeting correctly?  Looking at the daylight lines it seems that it's not matching properly at the side road.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 20 of 30
bryancollins3174

Yeah you were right Steve, my Targeting was off. I've corrected it somewhat. See attached image. On the left side I fixed it and then added in a Target for the Daylight, but as you can see no room to put a ditch and daylight inside the R/W. On the right side I'm not sure why the ditches still aren't lining up properly. Can't figure out why there is a jut out like that.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report