Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Aligning Different Subassemblies at an Intersection

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
bryancollins3174
1113 Views, 29 Replies

Trouble with Aligning Different Subassemblies at an Intersection

I am having an troublesome issue with my Corridor.  It involves the intersection of a main road alignment and a secondary road. Thing is my main road has a 6' shoulder whereas my secondary road doesn't have a shoulder at all. I used the Intersection Wizard to create the Intersection, but the two templates don't align. Without the shoulder the ditches don't line up. I tried drawing a polyline between the two ditches and targeting it and that worked, but then realized that going from 6' shoulder to no shoulder wasn't working either so when I tried to target a polyline from the 6' shoulder to the edge of pavement all kind of stuff happened that didn't make sense to me. Not sure how I should go about solving this issue. Also I'm going from 66' R/W on the main road to a 50' R/W on the secondary road.

I've attached some screen grabs and will post more screen grabs as necessary/requested.

Riverview Rd is the Main Rd and Renew Rd is the Secondary Rd for reference.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
sboon
in reply to: bryancollins3174

Can't tell from just looking at the plan view.  You may have to look at this area in the Corridor View/Editor to see what is going on with those sections.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 22 of 30
bryancollins3174
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

I believe the radius of the drive might be a major part of the issue. If I want to change that turn radius from 50' to 30' do I have to delete the region and recreate it with the Intersection Wizard or is there a better/faster way of accomplishing this?

Just spoke with the engineer and we are going to need to pipe from the left side of the road to the right. Is there something I will have to do with the corridor to stop the ditch and add in storm drain pipe? Might have to put in a junction box and pipe across the tight R/W on the left side and start a secondary ditch instead of having one ditch that goes around the bend. Any suggestions on what I would need to do to accomplish this?

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 23 of 30
sboon

You should be able to edit the intersection parameters to change the curb return radius, or you may be able to edit the alignment directly.  Either way your corridor regions are probably going to be messed up you'll have to do some fixing to clean it up.

For the other issue it sounds like you're going to need a different curb return assembly, with no ditching.  You should be able to copy the assembly you've already got and edit the subs in the new one to create a fill only scenario.  Once that's done you can split the corridor region and use the new assembly in the area where you don't want to ditch.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 24 of 30
fcernst

"...Just spoke with the engineer and we are going to need to pipe from the left side of the road to the right..."

Hey, you got to real world design in a hurry.

You "should"  be able tie your ditch into your culvert entrance with your Corridor. I say "should" because Civil 3D lacks a stock Ditch/Daylight subassembly that allows us to grab hold of the ditch invert and transition it both horizontally and vertically to our culvert entrances.

I created one in SAC for my use, but you can play with good old LaneAOR to get a ditch assembly going for yourself. Then you will also have a proper Datum and material quantities for your engineer. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 25 of 30
bryancollins3174
in reply to: fcernst

Fred,

Problem with everything you said there about the "real world design" is that I have no clue how to do any of it. I've been mainly just trying to learn the basics and that has taken 3 weeks of playing with everything and watching everything I can find online for free. Once I got a basic handle on corridors I've been trying to figure out the glitches thinking I was right and program was wrong, but thanks to Mike, Steve, and you today I learned I was part right and part wrong. I've learned quite a bit today, plus the more I go in and out of the all the menus and property boxes the more famililar I get with the program.

Now unfortunately I have to figure out how to tie the main road into an existing road and tie new ditch into existing ditch. Also how to tie in 3 driveways along the road into the corridor as well as how to put pipes under those driveways and have the new ditches still flow, not to mention putting in another pipe across the end of the secondary road (Renew) near the Cul-De-Sac I created.

I currently do not have anyone to talk to about any of this other than try to figure it out myself or help from this board. So thanks. Any further help will be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 26 of 30
sboon

All of those other topics have been asked and answered on this board.  It can be hard to find things, but post your new questions and someone will either answer or post a link to the solution.

One caveat for a new user; it's tempting to model every detail of your design but you will find yourself burning up a lot of time trying to get it just right.  Do you really need to design those driveways and their culverts, or can you draw in a few polylines and add a note referencing a standard detail for those.

If you don't already have it get a copy of Mastering Civil3d from Amazon.  Note - the 2014 version should be coming soon so last year's version is on sale.

Steve
Civil 3D 2012 & 2013 & 2014
Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q890
2 x i7 - Q740 quad core CPU's
8GB of RAM
60GB SSD + 500GB HDD
NVidia GeForce GTS 360M - driver 8.17.13.0697
Win 7 Home Premium

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 27 of 30
fcernst

Good luck Byan. Yes, Steve is real helpful and generous with his time in helping out people and new users.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 28 of 30
Neilw_05

As Steve suggested, you may find it is not practical to model everything with the corridor. In your case where you are needing to model a culvert inlet and outlet you will probably be better off using gradings or just manually drafting the pieces. Of course those parts will not show up in your corridor sections.

What I would do is run the ditches without the culvert and then use gradings to model the culvert transitions and paste the resulting surface model into the final corridor surface. You can have that surface show up in your cross sections by including it in the sampled surfaces.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 29 of 30
bryancollins3174
in reply to: Neilw_05

Guys,

At this point, grading is another thing that I haven't learned in Civil 3D. I've been using this program going on 4 years now and all I've ever done with it is Water and Sewer (Lines, profiles, and plants) and basic site layouts and many of those was just drawing in polylines and converting to contours, never grading objects. So all that advanced stuff you two mentioned is probably another 3 weeks or more of trying to learn something new and figuring how it all ties into each other. Probably just a lost cause.

I was hoping with Civil 3D being made for this type stuff it would be lot easier to work with on just the common/simplest of things (driveway, ditches, intersecting roads), but seems everything with this program is a work around.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 30 of 30
Neilw_05

I understand the challenges you face. Jumping into a live project without training and experience is never going to be easy. You'll need live support if you are going that route.

If that is not an option then work with your old tools and techniques and start some sort of training program when you can fit it in (or on your own as many of us have had to do).

The biggest part of the learning curve is getting to know what the limitations are and how to get around them.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report