Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Plotting an OLE object to PDF

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Lyonstp
2539 Views, 9 Replies

Trouble Plotting an OLE object to PDF

I have an OLE object in my drawing (a screen shot of a map) There is line work in the drawing as well. When I send it to the plotter it comes out looking great, exactly as shown on my screen. However, when I plot to PDF the OLE objects don't show up but the linework and hatching do.

Please HELP, How can I solve this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
wfberry
in reply to: Lyonstp

There are several PDF printer drivers and they all behave differently.  You may have more luck with the CutePDF Writer.  You can download a free version and give it a try.

Bill

Message 3 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I plot to PDF the OLE objects don't show up

And what PDF-driver have you used?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 10
Lyonstp

I have been using "DWG to PDF"

See attached for my print setup

Message 5 of 10
Lyonstp

we also have PDF report writer, which I just tried, but that doesn't work either.

I was wondering if it is some sort of autocad setting? or does it possibly have to do with the size of my drawing? the it IS a rather large drawing file.

Message 6 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

then I would try what Bill already suggested, another printer driver. He preferes CutePDF, I prefere PDFCreator (>>>click<<<).

But yes, it should work with "DWG to PDF.pc3" too. So may we have the drawing (just one line and this OLE-object embeded). So we can try to recreate this issue on our workstations.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> it IS a rather large drawing file

Sorry, our posts crossed 😉

How much is the file + is it possible that the filesize is that large just because of the OLE-object?

If so what type of OLE-object is it? What is the source software to edit it?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 10
Lyonstp
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The drawing size is 54 MB. I don't think the OLE is that large, there are 2 OLEs both about 2 or 3 MB each. This is estimated based on how much the drawing file size decreases when the OLE object is deleted and purged from the drawing.

The OLE source file is microsoft word. I Pasted a screen shot into word, cropped it and then coppied it into the drawing, I've done this before with no problems only last time the OLE was in paperspace and not model space.

Message 9 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I Pasted a screen shot into word, cropped it and then coppied it into the drawing

Why not saving the screenshot to file or paste it into IrfanView (as IrfanView is made for images, Word is it definitly not), then crop the image and save it as new file.

Now you have two options:

• the better (I would it do that way) is to reference this image into the drawing in the same way like XRef works. That does not make problems when plotting (by default), but transfer or drawings have to be done with command _ETRANSMIT (not a disadvantage as long as you know that).
  • or you do copy&paste from IrfanView directly into the drawing so you also get an OLE-object, but a image and not a Word-OLE with an embedded image.

And yes, if you have a 32bit OS + a 54MB drawing ==> memory usage might be one reason why the image does not show up in the plotted PDF.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 10
Maboza
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I have the same problem and I do have PDF Creator and PDF Architect, yet nothing seemed to work as far as the creation of the PDF layout of the OLE object from Autocad. I tried CutePDF but it gave me some error about PS2PDF

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report