Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble creating inside masks on surfaces

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jeff_rivers
1632 Views, 3 Replies

Trouble creating inside masks on surfaces

I'm modeling a couple different alternatives, and I want to make an inside mask on EG where my FG surface will be.

Is my workflow the problem, or are surface masks just buggy? 

I've created three EG surfaces, EG-1, EG-2, and EG-3.  I pasted the dref'd EG into each one, so now I have three copies of EG, one for each design option.  Each surface is on its own layer.

I have three FG surfaces, one for each design, FG-1, FG-2, FG-3.  I want to use the outer border of each FG in turn to make an inside mask for its respective EG surface. I can make one, masking FG-1 out of EG-1.  When I move on and try to make the mask for FG-2 to mask EG-2, no mask is created. 

Is it not working because I pasted the same original EG into each of the three EG option surfaces? Do I need to promote the original dref'd EG and copy it two more times, so each mask is applied to a completely unique surface?

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
troma
in reply to: jeff_rivers

What version are you in?
I believe in 2013 you can use one surface as a hide boundary for another surface. I've never tried it myself.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 4
jeff_rivers
in reply to: troma

Further results- I've created three separate surfaces by first promoting, then making two copies of the original EG.  All three surfaces are identical, and occupy the same place in modelspace.

I still can only create one mask on one surface.  If I try to create an inside mask on either of the other two surfaces either nothing happens when the command finishes, or I get the error "Region ID already exists".

I'm concluding that only one inside mask can exist in modelspace within the boundaries of any surface, regardless of the number of surfaces.

Troma, thanks for the suggestion.  Hide boundaries seem to be working.  Per the help file only polylines or parcels can be used, so it won't be dynamic.  For this instance that'll have to be okay.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 4 of 4
troma
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Sorry I missed the 2012 in your signature line last time. The command I mentioned was new for 2013.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report