Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Consistantly Daylighting from SubAssembly to Alignment Target

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
bryancollins3174
701 Views, 16 Replies

Trouble Consistantly Daylighting from SubAssembly to Alignment Target

This is my first corridor and I've been slowly working my way through it, but just seem to be running into problems left and right. My latest problem is the following;

I have my Corridor's Subassembly Daylighting set to target my Left side 33' R/W offset alignment. For 90% of my alignment everything is working fine or at least appears to, but I have 3 different areas where the Corridor refuses to daylight from the bottom of the 1' ditch out to said left alignment target even though the ditch is well below existing grade. I've attached 2 screen grabs.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Are there any maximum or minimum grades on the daylight assembly that might keep it from tying out to that point?

MikeC

Civil 3D 2015, Win 7 64bit, 16 GB RAM, Dell M4600
''That's the way we've always done it'' is an excuse, not a reason.
Message 3 of 17

Mike,

I've attached screen grabs for Subassembly and its Properties.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 17

Just for grins, what happens when you change the cut slope from 4:1 to 3:1?

MikeC

Message 5 of 17

Mike,

When I change the slope to 3:1 per your suggestion it daylights properly. Problem is that 3:1 slope doesn't reach out to the 33' R/W further down the corridor. Does that mean I'll have to create a separate SA and split my region (never done that before) and use the 2 different SAs?

Attached images. 12+50 wasn't working with 4:1, but is for 3:1. 16+00 was working for 4:1, but now isn't for 3:1.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 6 of 17

in your corridor properties, is that subassembly endpoint linked to your offset?

MikeC

Message 7 of 17

Mike, If you mean is my Target set, then yes, I have the 33' left side alignment set as my Target. Unless I'm not fully understanding what you are referring to.

See attachment for Corridor Target for SA.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 17

Bryan,

Based on how you've got your corridor set up, try the DaylightInsideROW assembly instead (see attached).

MikeC

Message 9 of 17

Mike,

Will this target the 33' R./W? The client needs the entire R/W used up. They would like a 4:1 slope on the backslope of the ditch, but if at 4:1 it goes beyond the R/W then it needs to target whatever the existing elevation is at the R/W no matter the slope and if at 4:1 it falls short of the R/W then it still needs to Target the R/W so that all 33' is used up by the Ditch.  That is why I felt if I just Targeted the R/W Alignment then it should have Daylighted directly to the existing surface elevation at 33' no matter what. I thought a Target was  supposed to Override other set Parameters. Will the DaylightInsideROW SA do everything I need? Really didn't think this part of the Corridor design would be so difficult. To me seemed pretty cut & dry.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 10 of 17

That subassembly should do what you need it to do.  

I've found the first couple of corridors are learning experiences.  After you get a couple of them under your belt, you start developing a couple of "pet" subassemblies that you learn to opperate really well.  After that you start adding more into your skill set.  

MikeC

Message 11 of 17

Mike,

Is there anyway to get the backslope/Daylight to target the existing surface elevation at the R/W no matter what the slope? I just talked it over with the Engineer and he said that is what the client would prefer. And I thought my first attempt would have worked exactly like that.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 12 of 17

Mike,

I think I'm on board now. So it seems a Target does not overide Parameters if the Parameters are met for the Subassembly requirements. Say if I wanted to keep a 4:1 backslope whereever possible but in cases where that 4:1 slope would exceed the 33' R/W then with DaylightInsideROW SA it would Daylight to the existing surface at the 33' R/W.

If I didn't care what the backslope was going to be and I just had to target the 33' R/W then I would use the DaylightToROW SA where you have no secondary control of slopes at all, it just aims for whatever Target you set. Thanks for the help.

I have another issue, but should I open another Topic or can I continue in this Topic? It involves the intersection of this main road alignment and a secondary road. Thing is my main road has a shoulder whereas my secondary road doesn't have a shoulder. I used the Intersection Wizard to create the Intersection, but the two templates don't align. Without the shoulder the ditches don't line up. Please advise.

Oh and I'll Check your Answer as a Solution.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 13 of 17

Glad I could help.  Your reasoning is sound.  Each of the subassemblies has different overriding conditions that control how it behaves.  I believe that the DaylightInsideROW is the best for the current situation.  

Go ahead and cut and paste your new question into another post.  They're unrelated and having them separate will help other people search and find solutions.

MikeC

Message 14 of 17

Mike,

I will start up a separate topic as you suggested.  Thanks again for the help.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 15 of 17
fcernst
in reply to: ccl_cad_manager

This is another Defective subassembly. Please see the thread below:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Confirmed-Defect-DaylightInsideROW-Subassembly-Not-Wo...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 17
bryancollins3174
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks for the heads up Ernst. Thankfully for the current design of this project I don't exceed the 2:1 Max slope though if something changes its good to know. So if it is defective, then which Subassembly do you recommend that can still accomplish what I'm looking for? And with this being my first full corridor project the SAC is out of the question. Not even close to being that advanced. Its taken me 3 weeks just to get this far on these 2 short roads.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 17 of 17
fcernst
in reply to: bryancollins3174

You could Target a Featureline, with a LaneAOR subassembly, both horizontally and vertically,  that has its elevations extracted from EG.

Good luck Guy.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report