Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trimming shape files

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
sfore
4164 Views, 9 Replies

trimming shape files

I'm using C3D 2010.  I'm dragging and dropping a bunch of shape files into my drawing.  Some of the shape files are huge in size and area.  Is there a way to trim the shape file to just my project area?  If so, will I still be able to edit the style thru mapwspace?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sfore
in reply to: sfore

Just to add to previous post.....I can bring in shape files thru mapimport and toggle import polygons as closed polylines and simply use trim command to cut down to project area, but the map data isn't attached this way and it doesn't show up in mapwspace. 

Message 3 of 10
marcross

When you connect the shp file data into Map, it will create a ‘layer’ under Display Manager, you can right click on that layer and select Query to Filter Data, the Modify Query dialog box opened, under Locate on Map icon, select Polygon (or other method you prefer), it will prompted you for Create or Select and boundary, select Create and draw the boundary for your project area, after the boundary created, simply hit OK to exit the Modify Query dialog box, and it should give you only the trim area.

Message 4 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

when you reference your shape-files with FDO you can activate a filter, e.g. a polygonal filter that describes what objects have to be displayed and what should be left out.

I have no english Map, so please look to my video and try to get the workflow reproduced, the locations of the buttons is the same.

One more info: in my video I use Map3D 2012, if you have an older version you can't filter multiple GIS-layer in one step, you will have to repeat the filtering layer-by-layer.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 10
sfore
in reply to: marcross

thanks so much.  worked great!

Shawn

Message 6 of 10
sfore
in reply to: marcross

ran into a problem.  when i perform the filter on my contour shp file and select my boundary box to trim from, a bunch of contours inside the box dissapear.  when i pick 'touching any part of' polygon, the contours inside the box stays as well as contours outside the box that touch the line.  should I not perform the query on these or is there a way to keep just the contours inside the box?

Message 7 of 10
Murph_Map

@sfore wrote:

ran into a problem.  when i perform the filter on my contour shp file and select my boundary box to trim from, a bunch of contours inside the box dissapear.  when i pick 'touching any part of' polygon, the contours inside the box stays as well as contours outside the box that touch the line.  should I not perform the query on these or is there a way to keep just the contours inside the box?

You can use the split feature command and split the contours that cross your boundary box, then do the spatial query.

Or if you use the map import and tell it to create object data it should bring in the attributes you need, then you can trim with the boundary trim command.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 10
sfore
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks for the info.  It was very helpful.

Message 9 of 10
NequathA

This was very helpful, thank you so much. 

Message 10 of 10
Jemauk
in reply to: NequathA

I have ran into a problem with this.  It works just fine on my computer, even closing and reopening, but the filter is not retained when opened on another computer.  Is there away for the filters to remain?

Thanks

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report