Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimble TSC2 import?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
w_davis
9674 Views, 17 Replies

Trimble TSC2 import?

Hey Guys,

So I have a Trimble TSC2 controller and when I try and use the Timble Link in AutoCAD C3D 2010, all the files show up but it says it is invalid and wont import.  The only way I can import the data is to run the files through Data Transfer, then import survey data command in AutoCAD.  I know there is a way to have a map of where you are working in AutoCAD and go take some shots and then import the shots and they show up where they are supposed to in AutoCAD.  But how to do this I am not sure and everyone else's questions related to this subject dont answer this question.  So what would be the best way to:

• Import data from Trimble TSC2?
  • Set up a map where you can export lines and import shots into the map (im assuming setting up a control but idk)?

Thanks guys

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
_Hathaway
in reply to: w_davis

What type of data is it?  We always download our tsc2 data through data transfer and then run it through TGO, export a csv file from TGO and import into Cad.

If your data is GPS grid data you almost have to run it through TGO to convert your data to ground first...assuming your not intending to work in 'grid' within Cad.

Not sure why your data isn't importing directlly.  We NEVER do that, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Message 3 of 18
w_davis
in reply to: _Hathaway

Is there a reason why you NEVER do it?  And what is TGO?

Message 4 of 18
mathewkol

Trimble Geomatics Office

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 18
nate-hunt

The best way in my opinion is to use TBC (Trimble Business Center) between C3D and the field.. (your TSC2/3) Reason being.. Trimble is better at QCing Trimble data. Civil 3D has no idea how to "check" your survey... Also going into your data collector, TBC is the best way to "see" what you may see in the field when you open your files.

That being said, Trimble Link should be able to bring data to and from your collector directly into and from CAD. It sounds like you either want a DXF file or alignment files in the field to represent your "map"? and you then want to import your points into CAD after collecting them? is this correct? Also sounds like you are having issues getting the field file into your C3D? Attach a sample field file and maybe someone can help you from there..

-Nate

Message 6 of 18
w_davis
in reply to: nate-hunt

What I was hoping to do was have a map here in my office probably with some sort of control point so its based off af a known point out in the field.  And then I want to be able to draw lines on the map in Autocad and export them to the controller.  Then when I am out in the field, take shots along those lines using (distance from the line and distance on the line) with the controller.  Then when I import it into AutoCAD C3D, then all those shots I took on those lines will show up on the map where they were out in the field.  I guess that was my first question.

My second question is how to use the Trimble Link in AutoCAD C3D.  I have attached a sample file. 

Thanks Guys.

Message 7 of 18
nate-hunt

Yea, I think what you want to do is get your map into a simple DXF form. Then you can simply place the DXF file in your "trimble data" folder on your collector, link it to your job and you should be able to view/follow the line in map mode.. or stake it out or whatever in the field.

Message 8 of 18
HansSMS

I've used Trimble Link since 2009 to export surface, points and alignments.

With 2013, when clicking on export surface  or export AutoCAD simply crashed. This took six months to fix via service pack 1.

So we have ditched Trimble link now as we really can't afford the BIG BOYS (Autodesk and Trimble) to simply destroy our work process again and are using TBC. TBC has a much better processing of topo data and general QA, provides better conformance reports, and easily exports DWG file for use in Civil 3D. The feature definition manager is streets ahead of Civil 3D.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 9 of 18
Cadguru42

We just export the points to a CSV file and import that into the survey database. We don't bother with Trimble Link (buggy as hell) or even bother with Trimble Office (or whatever it's called). This has been working great for us for the past 5 years.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 18
nate-hunt
in reply to: Cadguru42

That would work if we had 1 or 2 field crews... and 1 of them was me. We have over 100 field crews. Our Land Surveyors prefer to QC all our field data and adjust if needed before blindly dumping ascii files into CAD. We use Trimble Business Center. Geomatics Office has been discontinued. I have not had that many problems with Trimble Link but I typically export not import with it.

Message 11 of 18
_Hathaway

@w_davis wrote:

What I was hoping to do was have a map here in my office probably with some sort of control point so its based off af a known point out in the field.  And then I want to be able to draw lines on the map in Autocad and export them to the controller.  Then when I am out in the field, take shots along those lines using (distance from the line and distance on the line) with the controller.  Then when I import it into AutoCAD C3D, then all those shots I took on those lines will show up on the map where they were out in the field.  I guess that was my first question.

My second question is how to use the Trimble Link in AutoCAD C3D.  I have attached a sample file. 

Thanks Guys.

It appears to me you should just be uploadin a point file or alignment file or some combination thereof into your TSC2.  Why do you need lines on the collector? Export the points or alignments and work from them.  DXF are probably the worst possible way I can think of to do something like that.  I haven't used a dxf file since the mid 90s.

Message 12 of 18
nate-hunt

Then you are obviously missing out on some cool functionality with DXFs.. Using a dxf is simple and you can stake station/offset from any of your lines in your DXF.. which is what I understood the OP to be asking for. I suggested a DXF because you can drag and drop it into "trimble data", you dont need Trimble link, TGO or TBC.. its simple, functional and alignments could be overkill for the stated purpose.

Message 13 of 18
HansSMS

Mike, I have to agree with Nate

We are using the TSC3 controllers. Using DXF files is the way to go for setouts, as you have a complete map of the data as background. We create points (AutoCAD points, not cogo points) we we need setout points. The layers in the TSC3 software are in three states: Off, On and Active. We switch on lines but make the points active, they are then selectable on the screen. The controller then creates a setout point using a truncated name derived from the DXF file name and an automatice numbering, which is then recorded in the JOB file. We stopped using the intermediate csv file, it's a waste of time.

One can also make lines active, and then it's possible to do offset setouts from these, this is really usful on fo example grades when one is chasing a daylight from a design line at a given grade for example.

It's also easier to track and fix data mistakes in the field, with a CSV file only one has nothing to check/verify a point against.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 14 of 18
w_davis

This may be a ridiculous amount of work, but because you know exactly what I am trying to do, no one in my office knows how to do this so do you think there is somehow you could show me how to do this step by step in terms of exporting to the controller, (I know how to work the controller), and importing from the controller...I'm not exaclty sure how to do the head and taill end of this.

Message 15 of 18
_Hathaway
in reply to: HansSMS

@HansSMS wrote:

Mike, I have to agree with Nate

We are using the TSC3 controllers. Using DXF files is the way to go for setouts, as you have a complete map of the data as background. We create points (AutoCAD points, not cogo points) we we need setout points. The layers in the TSC3 software are in three states: Off, On and Active. We switch on lines but make the points active, they are then selectable on the screen. The controller then creates a setout point using a truncated name derived from the DXF file name and an automatice numbering, which is then recorded in the JOB file. We stopped using the intermediate csv file, it's a waste of time.

One can also make lines active, and then it's possible to do offset setouts from these, this is really usful on fo example grades when one is chasing a daylight from a design line at a given grade for example.

It's also easier to track and fix data mistakes in the field, with a CSV file only one has nothing to check/verify a point against.

I believe we've got off topic a bit, hopefully w-davis got the info he needed.

Hans, I dont see that being viable or efficient for the type of work and documentation we do.. It does sound mildly interesting though.

Message 16 of 18
Mouse_Clicker
in reply to: HansSMS

Sorry to drag up an old thread

We have been having trouble loading surfaces into our data collectors.

Currently we have been using .ttm files. The surface is in the correct location with accurate cut/fills, but when using stakeout we cannot see anything; Tin, Linework, Point ect.

This .DXF sounds promising and is what we are looking to acheive. When I attemptedto load a .dxf file into my TSC-3 it stopped responding. I used a .dxf 2013 and 2000 format. neither worked.

There was an earlier refernce made to a "simple .dxf" is this a different type of .dxf? or is it exported differently than conventional .dxf's

Any help is apreciated, be it with .dxf or .ttm files

Civil 3-D 2017, TBC
Message 17 of 18
wallyb
in reply to: Mouse_Clicker

@Barry.Vlasman wrote:

Sorry to drag up an old thread

We have been having trouble loading surfaces into our data collectors.

Currently we have been using .ttm files. The surface is in the correct location with accurate cut/fills, but when using stakeout we cannot see anything; Tin, Linework, Point ect.

This .DXF sounds promising and is what we are looking to acheive. When I attemptedto load a .dxf file into my TSC-3 it stopped responding. I used a .dxf 2013 and 2000 format. neither worked.

There was an earlier refernce made to a "simple .dxf" is this a different type of .dxf? or is it exported differently than conventional .dxf's

Any help is apreciated, be it with .dxf or .ttm files

Sorry just seen this post. When exporting dxf's, usually just taking the normal route (File-saveas-(select dxf)) creates a large file. 

If you take the route (file-save as-(then select options-dxf options-tick the "select objects box"-then save)) This will prompt you to select the objects in the drawing you want to save in the dxf file, which will reduce the size of the file even if you select all objects. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 18 of 18
Pointdump
in reply to: Mouse_Clicker

Barry,

Yes, you'll need two separate files for your TSC3, a ttm and a dxf. I have had NO luck at all with Trimble Link and C3D. Best to use Trimble Business Center to get data into or out of the TSC3. You can download a free version which will allow you to import/export, but not to edit. If you need to edit your surface, export it from TBC to C3D with LandXML.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report