Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimble Link Issue

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
5978 Views, 8 Replies

Trimble Link Issue

I'm trying to import a .job file from our Trimble R6 GPS with Trimble Access software. I save the drawing and select import job. I have a device setup so I can navigate to the .job file, so i select the .job file and it starts to convert it, then i get the following error:

"

Unable to convert file.

Database Open Failed

File: [filepathhere]\testjob.job.tic            <--- not sure why it says .job.tic here its just a .job file

Select Abort to cancel the current operation

Retry to try again with this file

Ignore to skip this file and try the next.

"

If i hit retry it just keeps giving the same error, if i hit abort or ignore I get the following error:

"

Error

An error occurred during the file download.

A required geoid model, datum grid or project grid file may not be available on this computer, or,

This computer may need the "Update Office Software" option (from the Trimble Survey Controller CD) applied to it.

"

I've tried with Civil3D 2011 and 2012 both with Trimble Link installed for their respective versions. I have Trimble Business Center installed and updated along with Office Synchronizer. I went to Trimbles site and downloaded and installed all the update office software utilities in order in which they were released, the latest being April 2012. I tried uninstalling Trimble Link and reinstalling. I also downloaded and installed Trimble Office Configureation File Update Utility which last updated in August of 2012 and was suppose to update Trimble Link. I tried making a couple of test jobs on the data collector, some in state plane coordinates and some with no projection/no datum so a geoid file wouldnt be required, but they all return the same results. I've installed the geoid files on the collector using Trimble Link's Install Geoid and also added them to the Coordinate System Manager in Trimble Business Center.

I would like to convert using this utility because it gives azimuths and distances from our base receiver and I can use them to do adjustments after the job file has been converted to a fbk (fieldbook file).

It worked before and now it's not. Is anyone else running into this problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mathewkol
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure how to fix your problem but an alternative would be to just export the FBK from your hardware or TBC.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Hi,

had this issue before,

chek the spelling of the name of your geoid and/or shiftgrid file on the dc and in your coordinate system manager (CSM).

Mine had an underscore in its name on the dc and not in the CSM, one of the Trimble updates had a different name for our Belgium Geoid file.

Hope this helps.

Chr.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Matt - That does work without a problem but only gives me coordinates in NEZ format for the fbk file. Using Trimble Link it generates Azimuths and Distances from the base point. I would need these if I were doing an adjustment of a traverse network.

clambrecht - I tried coping and renaming all my geoids to make sure they were the same. Created a new job with the geoid and its still giving me the same error. I copied everything from C:\ProgramData\Trimble\GeoData\ (where TBC keeps all its geoid models) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Trimble\GeoData\ (where Trimble Link keeps all its geoid models) and still nothing. All the geoids have been added to the CSM as well.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Bretth,

Trimble link uses the Data transfer utility and the CSM, I don't know what OS you're running XP or Win7 but on my Win7 I had another issue with the CSM.

Inside the CSM you can set the path where it should look for the Coordinate systems, due to an CSM update the path became bad, to reset:

Go to View|Options

If the path looks as an old to large MSDOS path

CSM1.JPG

hit Browse and Ok to refresh the path as below

CSM2.JPG

I had to reset it multiple times after an TBC update,

hope you get it running ...

Chr.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I think you might be onto something there. I just quick opened the settings and when I tried to change to the units tab it gave me an error about the directory not being correct. It appeared to be fine but maybe something was off. Anyway, my directory was/is set to C:\ProgramData\Trimble\GeoData\

I'm a bit tied up with some stuff right now, but the first chance I get I'll try this fix and I'll have to double check my CSM to make sure all my geoids and stuff are correct.

I'll update soon with results.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, by the way.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Having exactly the same issue mate - did you find a solution?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Strsi681,

I never got it to work properly. Every solution I tried failed. I came across a reseller at a conference who said he had the same problem with 2012. My guess is something is screwed up with that version of Trimble Link, possibly due to a service pack update with Civil 3D, which makes it no longer compatible. Still running 2012 right now, but hope to update to 2015 by end of summer or fall when we have templates updated and tweaked for our liking. But for the time being I'm just using the ASCII file generator by Trimble with the FBK style sheet. I get some difference in points values when using grid coordinate system such as state plane coordinates, but it works well enough for what we do here.

-Brett

This electronic communication and its attachments contain confidential information. Design data and recommendations included herein are provided as a matter of convenience and should not be used for final design. Data on electronic media can deteriorate or can be modified without the knowledge or consent of Wolverine Engineers & Surveyors. Rely only on the final hardcopy materials bearing the Engineers or Surveyors original signature and seal. Recipient agrees that utilization of this electronic data is at their own risk. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately.
Message 9 of 9
dewarp1

We have recently come across this issue too, and in our case we were able to resolve it.  

For us it was Trimble Data Transfer that needed correctly setting up.  We download data either directly from our Trimble TSC2 or TSC3 controllers, or using a "data card" link through the Trimble Link.  In our case, the device had been incorrectly set up in Trimble Data Transfer (this is the same device list that you see as the first screen when you click Import from the Trimble Link Ribbon in AutoCAD).

I suggest you try to set up a new device:  The device type needs to be "General Survey" as picked from the list, not "Survey Controller on ActiveSync" or any of the other options.  Give it a new name and give that a try.  If you've got all your geoid and datum grid files sorted and have run the latest "Update Trimble Office" file (currently the latest is v2014.10), it might hopefully work for you.

If you also have a "data card" device to import Trimble Access job files from a local network drive use "General Survey Data Card" as the device type.

From memory, when "Trimble Access" was released to supercede "Survey Controller" software on the controllers, these settings changed.  

I do hope this helps your issues.

Cheers

Phil Dewar
Fox and Associates
Christschurch, New Zealand

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report