Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimble Link - Fatal Error

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
andrewfoss01
1541 Views, 5 Replies

Trimble Link - Fatal Error

Hi,

I have an issue using Trimble Link (on ACAD C3D 2014).  Whenever i try to export a surface...whether it be exporting to SCS900, Access, or GCS900, it causes a fatal error in the program the instant I click the 'export surface" button.  I have the latest service pack installed, and a fresh DL from Trimble website for Trimble Link Addon.

Can this be fixed?

A

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
andrewfoss01
in reply to: andrewfoss01

Thanks for the help guys 

Man Sad

Message 3 of 6
IanMcClain

What service pack are you running, specifically? Also, what are the specs on your hardware?

You may want to try contacting Trimble or your local dealer who should be able to contact the right people at Trimble. It is a very small minority of Trimble users on this forum and they may not have come across this issue yet.

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 6
HansSMS
in reply to: IanMcClain

This has happened before with Civil 3D 2012. The crash was extremely efficient: Press "export surface" button and Civil 3D dissappears off your screen. Very elegant and streamlined, no error messages, none of the normal useless windows methods suggesting to troubeshhot the problem, no chance to senf a report, just poof and gone. 

AutoCAD said it was a Trimble Issue.

Trimble told me all software issues were AutoCAD's.

The isue in 2012 was resolved with SP1. Meaning it was an AutoCAD issue, as it used the same Trimble add-on version.

I've stopped using this Trimble add-on, as everytime you have a new software version, your process gets put out of action for up to six months.

Instead I export a DWG with 3D faces, and then build the surface in TBC, then upload to he survey controllers.

Thanks to AutoCAD for making this otherwise very good add-on a waste of time.

My rant for the day.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 5 of 6
Falmarjo-1
in reply to: HansSMS

This worked for me when I had the same problem in C3D 2016 and the current version of Trimble Link/Access:

1. Export Surfaces as LandXML file. (make sure your XML Export settings aren't set to International Foot unless you actually use International Feet - this has burned me multiple times.  For some reason the default XML settings throughout C3D were always set to international foot - Very BAD if you use US Foot all the time.  I know this burns others as well as I've found errors that fit precisely with the scaling error between international foot and US FOOT.  Keep an eye out for this in your survey database as well as your drawing template as well.)

2. Open a new drawing and import the XML file you just made.  The surfaces should import easily.

3. In the new drawing, use "Export Surface" on Trimble Link.  It worked for me.

4. To verify the surface is unaltered, I made it a data shortcut, referenced it in the original drawing and used volumes to verify 0 cut and 0 fill.

My surfaces were created by a Corridor.  I think that may be causing the issue.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 6
Falmarjo-1

FYI

Running C3D 2016 I was getting a fatal error the instant I clicked on "export surface" in Trimble Link.

When I deleted all of the volume surfaces that were in that drawing, the error stopped immediately and I could export, even without saving. 

On the other hand, when I created a single new volume surface in a drawing that didn't generate the error, the error appeared instantly and kicked me out with the fatal error.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report