Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimble Link causing computer to CRASH

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Kitkat1000
1504 Views, 5 Replies

Trimble Link causing computer to CRASH

I've been using Civil 3d 2013 for about a month now and Trimble Link causes the Civil 3D to crash before during and after using Civil 3D. 

The BIG problem is, if we choose just to bring in a fieldbook from TGO, we loose all the linework that was so carefully collected and just get points in the dwg. 

If we use Trimble Link - Import Job, it'll import but causes a variety of hangups, crashes and issues. Am I crazy or is anyone having this issue.  The way we figured this out was that a laptop had 2013 on it and wasn't crashing until guess what was installed>>>>Trimble Link - BINGO!

Who do I talked to in order to get this resolved!  This is costing time and money!!!!!!!

HELP PLEASE !!!!

Thank you!

Cathy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Kitkat1000

Did you have Trimble Link 2013 installed?  and if so, Trimble would be the people to contact.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 6
HansSMS

I've been using Trimble link since it 2009. Version 2012 was fine. Version 2013 just crashes, all the time. Hit the export surface button - crash, AutoCAD is gone. export a JOB file - crash. It's practically useles, I've had to do all the connectivity using going back to Trimble Business Centre TBC again.

Our AutoCAD agents say it's aTrimble issue. Out trimble agents recon its an issue with the software house meaning Autodesk. Of course they would.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 4 of 6
nikoue
in reply to: HansSMS

I use trimble link with with civil 3d 2013 with no problems. If you want upload the Job file to try it

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

Message 5 of 6
Kitkat1000
in reply to: HansSMS

Thanks for the comments guys but, I've been told by Autodesk that there are known 'problems' that causes crashes like the ones I've been experiencing and to wait for the update on their blog site........  Gosh, I wished that they would have just said that like a month ago and saved me some frustrating time trying to figure out what was going on with it. 

I, too use Trimble Business Center and just did the big update (with the ribbons) and going through the tutorials.

So this is NOT SOLVED but only identified as a real problem now. 

We can get our field data into 2013 but shouldn't have to jump through these hurdles and not able to leverage the power of Civil 2013 without chancing crashing.   Considering the enormous amounts of money that land surveyors already spend on their field equipment, insurance for field equip and training unlike PE's and others, I would think that the software folks would be at the top of their game for us!  Please try harder Autodesk (and Tirmble), you're almost there, please!

Message 6 of 6
HansSMS

Couldn't agree with you more.

We surveyors create a process from the tools we have available, linking tens of thousands of dollars of field equipment at the one end via data loggers or field controllers through download processes to the end software like Civil 3D. It takes a lot of effort to set up and work out processes with all the field coding etc, and we arrive a system that works.

Then the likes of Trimble and Autodesk quite happily from inside their ivory towers destroy it through the next round of buggy software, totally oblivious of the lost time and consequential expenses caused to surveyors which can be many times that if the purchase price of the Trimble / Autodesk software. Then these companies drag the fixes on over months. By this time the surveyor has worked an alternate solution (as he can’t tell his clients to wait for six months till the system is fixed...), which is then set up to get destroyed by the next round of software updates.

Back in the “good old days” surveying software companies were small, one had a direct line to the programmers, and issues could be sorted out often within days of reporting to them. These companies are now mostly out of business because of the way the big companies set up their products and options. Now we are lucky to get something fixed in the next years update. The arrogance/indifference of the likes of Trimble and Autodesk is appalling. Surveying is just too small a market.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report