Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricky assembly

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
fuglsang1000
1155 Views, 15 Replies

Tricky assembly

I am working on an assembly, but iam stuck. I need the assembly to look like the attached .dwg, i just have no idea how to make it and if its at all possible to make it in Civil 3d.

Hope someone has the skills to help me out

- thanks

btw, iam using Civil 3d 2012

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: fuglsang1000

Everything to the left of the right edge of road could be made using stock subassemblies available in Civil 3D. You will want to use a lane subassembly (LaneSuperelevationAOR on the Lanes Tool Palette is a good one), then a few LinkWidthAndSlope (on the Generic Tool Palette) to build the left channel and berm, and UrbanSidewalk (on the Curbs Tool Palette), then a daylight subassembly (LinkSlopeToSurface on the Generic Tool Palette is about as simple as you can get).

Now to the right of the right edge of road you could also build with stock subassemblies and a ConditionalCutOrFill (on the Conditional Tool Palette) if you are okay ignoring the radii. If you want to incorporate the radii, you will need to generate the subassembly for that portion of the assembly using Subassembly Composer (available for free download on subscription.autodesk.com for Subscription Customers). 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 16
fuglsang1000
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Thank your respons! i was affraid that something like that was the solution

Unfortunately iam not a Subscription Customers, so i dont have access to Subassembly Composer - and i cant get an access either. Is there anyway someone have the time to help me out, and make the assembly for me in the Subassembly Composer? I have no idea how much time i takes to put an assembly together in the composer, but i would be a big help for me if anyone would help me out.

Message 4 of 16
KMercier_C3D

In order to use a pkt file once created by Subassembly Composer, if you do not have the Subassembly Composer program on your machine then you will need to have the Subassembly Composer Support Pack installed on your machine. I believe both of these downloadable files (either Subassembly Composer or Subassembly Composer Support Pack) are currently only available to Subscription Customers. So having someone else make a pkt file for you if you are not able to have the Subassembly Composer Support Pack would not work.

AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 5 of 16
fuglsang1000
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

The Subassembly Composer Support Pack is available on AutoDesk homepage:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17321110&linkID=9240698

I have installed it on my computer, so it is not a problem to import an pkt file. The problem is that i cant get access to the Subscription to get Subassembly Composer to make the assembly.

So if someone would take the time to help me i would be very grateful.

Message 6 of 16
KMercier_C3D

Good to know the Support Pack is available as freeware. I didn't previously realize that. Hopefully you will find someone who is willing to take the time to make the subassembly for the right shoulder for you. 

Message 7 of 16

If you can't get some one to do this for free, I provide a service to create subassemblies. If you are interested send me an emai christopher at Civil3DReminders.com and I'll provide you a quote.

Message 8 of 16
sboon
in reply to: Civil3DReminders

Does the section absolutely have to include the arcs or can you approximate them with chords?  Part of the reason that I'm asking is that the arcs could not be used in building surfaces from your corridor, so you won't be getting accurate quantites from them.

If you divide each of the arcs into say 12 segments and use a MultiLink sub to represent them then it should be close enough that nobody will know the difference.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 16
fuglsang1000
in reply to: sboon

Thank you for the offer Civil3dReminders, but no thanks…

Thanks SBoon, then i doesn’t matter. I need the surface from the corridor to get quantities information about the earthwork, so i have now made the assembly with links - and it actually looks pretty good 🙂

I just have a question about the conditional cut or fill subassembly. What impact does the min and max distance have?

Message 10 of 16
sboon

If the vertical distance from the insertion point of the Conditional sub to the surface is between the min. and max. then it returns a TRUE result and whatever subs are attached to the outside of that will be processed.  If the result is FALSE then nothing happens.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 16
lim.wendy

Hi fuglsang1000,

Have you tried using the “Create Subassembly from Polyline” under the corridor menu? I’ve converted the arch in your road section using the said command. Please watch the screencast in the following link for a better understanding. 

http://www.screencast.com/t/eZEhfTMT

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Regards,

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 12 of 16
fuglsang1000
in reply to: lim.wendy

Thanks a lot for that very nice answer - very nice with the video!

It works fine with the arc's now, but I think you misunderstood my drawing. I need the ditch to be at the bottom of the slope so the side of the ditch meets the terrain. I can’t get that to work proper.

I have attached a picture of how the section view looks like, and the yellow line is how it should be. The white arrow indicates the second problem. Its like my slope continues to long and therefore goes under the surface and then op and meet the terrain again. Why is that?

Edit: note that I have simplified the assembly on the picture, I have removed the sound barrier and one of the ditches.

Message 13 of 16
lim.wendy

Hi,

Have you tried changing the Overhang Correction to Top Links? For the extended slope, please add a boundary to your corridor. That should clean up the unwanted lines.

screenshot.png

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 14 of 16
sboon

There's something strange going on with your assembly.  It almost looks like it is building both the cut and the fill ditches.  I cannot really tell what is happening just from the screenshot though.  Can you copy the assembly to an empty drawing and post that for us to look at?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 16
fuglsang1000
in reply to: sboon

I have attached the assembly and a drawing of how the assembly is supposed to look like.

As I wrote before I have some problems with the ditches. They are supposed to be at the bottom of the daylight slopes, but for some reason they are placed at the top of the slopes.
Furthermore, I have some problems with the superelevation. In the curves I need the whole lane (the subassemlys: LaneSuperelevationAOR and the LaneOutsideSuperLayerVaryingWidth) to have 3.5% gradient towards the center of the curve, but its like “LaneOutsideSuperLayerVaryingWidth” don’t match the “LaneSuperelevationAOR” each other?

Sorry for the English, but I do my best.

Message 16 of 16
sboon
in reply to: lim.wendy

It looks like most of the problems are caused by how your subassemblies are attached to each other.  What I found was that the subs which form the ditch at the toe of the fill slope are actually attached to the Conditional sub, with an offset.  This means that the ditch location is always a fixed distance from the shoulder and not connected to the toe of the fill slope.  The cut ditch appears to be correct. (see attached screenshots).

I had no problems with the superelevation - both of the lane slopes seem to work, but I found that the sidewalk sub has a similar problem - it's not connected to where it appears to be.

Send me a PM with your email address if you want a copy of the edited drawing back - it's too large to attach here.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report