Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triangles not Seeing Breaklines

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rachelc11
785 Views, 14 Replies

Triangles not Seeing Breaklines

Hello, this has been driving me crazy lately. (see picture) Putting in a simple berm crest, and the triangles skip right over a certain section. Swap edge does nothing to help and adding points seems to make things worse. I have been able to fix this problem before, but only by deleting my surface and then putting all the pieces back in at once. Then it's perfect. Is there an easier way? I think part of the problem may be that the "Contour help" I put in at the blue major contours is screwing things up.I have had the same issue when putting in down-slope channels as well.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: rachelc11

Have you added any breaklines?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 15
rachelc11
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Yes, in the picture the magenta lines and the daylight line (edge of blue contours) are breaklines.

Message 4 of 15
ToddRogers-WPM

I'm not seeing the problem.  If the blue lines are your breaklines, it's doing what it is suppose to.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 15
AllenJessup

In the Surface Properties dialog box, on the Definition tab, try moving the operation that added those breaklines to the bottom of the list in the lower pane using the arrows on the left.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
owenmull

This appears to be a design surface you are creating.

You added your points, but you need to add in your breaklines as well.

Go to your Surface-->Definiton-->Breaklines-->Right Click-->Add

Give it a name, and go thru and select all the breaklines, then hit Enter. They now should be a part of your Surface.

Add Breaklines to Surface

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: AllenJessup

I believe this is solution I need. I did not realize that the order in which you add the breaklines mattered much at all. Thanks.

Message 8 of 15
owenmull

If the blue lines are your breaklines, and the cyan lines are the surface contours, then this surface is doing exactly what it is supposed to.

If that is the case, look: your surface IS traingulating to the blue breaklines.

This looks right to me, I don't know what it is that would be wrong then.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Nope, blue are major contours, cyan minor. Magenta and white are breaks, which had already been aded to surface.

Message 10 of 15
AllenJessup

I didn't either until recently. I knew if I erased the lines, oops'd them back in and added them to the Surface again it would work. A couple of weeks ago JohnM showed me how this could be done using the list in Surface Properties. This is also why outer boundaries go hay-wire. They need to be at the bottom of the list.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
rachelc11

Aha. Didn't know about the boundary thing either. I typicall re-add a boundary at least a dozen times before I can finish a surface. Good to know...

Message 12 of 15
ToddRogers-WPM

I'm so glad that the OOPS command is still active and someone actually uses it!!  Let's hope it never get retired.

Todd Rogers
Message 13 of 15
Sinc

Yes, it would be nice if there were a way to force boundaries to always be at the bottom of the list.  This is a suggestion I've made to Autodesk, but it hasn't happened yet (I keep hoping).  Adding breaklines after adding a boundary can lead to some very bizarre behavior in your Surface, until you sort out the order of operations.

Sinc
Message 14 of 15

My breakline operation was at the bottom of the list.  Moving it to the top solved my problem.  This is one good piece of info I was not aware of and may solve many of the problems I've had with surfaces.

THANKS!

Message 15 of 15

I learn from these groups and then pass it on. Glad it helped.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report