Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation and Rotation

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Pointdump
1364 Views, 3 Replies

Translation and Rotation

Point_Trans_Rot.PNG

Pt# 812 (From my drawing)
N: 2004294.63
E: 6057287.18

Pt# 715 (Stake point from a DXF file)
N: 254.39
E: 218.59

I built my drawing from the civils. I wanted to check the points that the surveyors are staking with a DXF file. As you can see from the above two points, our coordinates were wildly different. I brought the DXF file into my drawing as a block, and translated and rotated it to match my drawing. I had to drag it several miles, but no problem there.
I imported the as-staked point file to a new group and dragged them up near my drawing, but the drawing was getting a bit crowded by then. So I made a block of all the imported points to make it easier to translate and rotate them to match my drawing and the overlayed DXF. After exploding the block of points, the points showed up in the new group. Now it's a messy drawing, and I'm not proud of it.

Anyhoo, here's my questions:

1. How do you renumber(offset number) imported points? The option I saw was only for duplicate points. I wanted to offset them all.
2. How do you translate and rotate a large bunch of points without turning them into a block?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BrianHailey
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

1. How do you renumber(offset number) imported points? The option I saw was only for duplicate points. I wanted to offset them all.

I would edit them in Excel. Real easy to renumber them there. And then import them. If they are already in the drawing, you could use the Renumber command on the COGO Point Ribbon Tab

@Pointdump wrote:

2. How do you translate and rotate a large bunch of points without turning them into a block?

The align command seems to work just fine on my drawing

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 4
Pointdump
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks, Brian. Sounds like Excel is probably the easiest way to renumber before an import that will have duplicate numbers. And that Align command looks perfect. 

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 4 of 4
Pointdump
in reply to: BrianHailey

As a further refinement, I dumped my new points into an empty drawing and renumbered them there. (I don't have Excel on this machine.) After re-Importing the re-numbered points, I used that wonderful Align command (Thank you Brian) to translate and rotate the new points with the 'PN transparent command.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report