Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translating a Surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gprix76
380 Views, 4 Replies

Translating a Surface

I am 90% into the design of a subdivision and the survey was just updated.  The original design was in an arbitrary coordinate system, and the new boundary is in state plane coordinates.  I would like to move all of the design information to the new boundary.  This would include all of the surfaces (approximately 6).

When I move the surface (any surface), I end up with errors.  If I move the surface alone, I cannot move the defining feature lines.  If I move the featurlines, I loose all of the edits I have made to the surface.

Is there any clean way to translate a drawing, including all design work, to a new coordinate?

Thanks,

Steve

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgordon
in reply to: gprix76

moving the feature lines or objects that define the surface is the best practice. If someone has a better way i'd like to hear it.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 5
gprix76
in reply to: dgordon

The only problem with that is that all of the edits are lost, at least when I have done it.  Is there a way to preserve the edits?

Steve

Message 4 of 5
troma

You say you loose the edits. Are they gone from the definition tab of the surface properties? Or do they just appear to be ignored?

Personally, I think I'd make a new drawing with just some reference linework for the legal boundary. Then x-ref the current drawing in and align it as necessary. Then bind the x-ref.
I can't guarantee the results, but that's what I would try.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 5
jmayo-EE

You move the objects or the surface not both.

I typically prefer to move the defining objects. Once you rebuild the surface will follow.

You can also move the surface and sometimes this is good but don't move the defining objects and the surface. This will double the operation.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report