Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translate Survey Database after TIN surface is created

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
wbrustle
665 Views, 4 Replies

Translate Survey Database after TIN surface is created

I have a job I am working on and manipulating the data may need to be done using the translate survey database command in the next couple weeks. The surveyors are waiting on some boundary info., which may not be available for a week or so. I have all the points inserted, and linework is done. I was wondering if anyone knows if I go ahead and build a TIN surface, what tools ,if any are available to rotate a surface after it is originally built.  The surface will have to adjusted to match the new location of the points when adjust the data. because I always use a point group to help build my surface.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

If you make the surface from a point group and the point group is adjusted by the survey team, the surface will be adjusted to match automatically. You shouldn't need to rotate the surface manually.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5

ok what about breaklines and boundaries, if I move and rotate them with my linework,  the elevations on the breaklines stay consistent? I remember years back, in LDD the elevations on a surface would do something wierd if you moved the TIN lines, but Im sure Civil 3D is a lot more sophisticated than that.

Message 4 of 5

You will need to rotate the breaklines and borders to align them with the updated survey data. You don't want to rotate the surface, that will rebuild with the new locations of its data.

If you rotate the points and the surface together, what should happen is that the points will rotate, and the surface will update and then the surface will rotate giving a double rotation.

Before you go to far, I would suggest making a sample database, surface and breaklines and then try the rotation to get a feel for the process out before going live with the real data.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5

I made a dummy drawing and a surface, and it worked! I think I was hung up on moving the actual contours along with the surface data like breaklines and boundary and like you said I didn't need to move the surface itself because it automatically updates once I move all of the surface data used to create it........thanks so much for clarifying that for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report