AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

aafulton
Message 11 of 17 (520 Views)

Re: Transitions Between Assemblies

12-19-2012 02:23 PM in reply to: Neilw

This is exactly what I was trying to do. I didn't realize you could manage the offsets and tapers in the offset alignment properties!

Consider this one solved!

Cheers to all,

Aaron

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 12 of 17 (511 Views)

12-19-2012 03:43 PM in reply to: Neilw

He can just graphically slide the transitioning grips to change the Transition Segment length if he changes the length of the Parent alignment.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 13 of 17 (472 Views)

12-21-2012 10:48 AM in reply to: aafulton

You can do this also with the help of the Subassembly Composer and some API calls, no Offset alignments required.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
aafulton
Message 14 of 17 (428 Views)

01-03-2013 03:39 PM in reply to: sboon

Hi Steve,

Your alignment drawing worked perfect. Could you explain how you actually went through the steps of creating the offset alignment and then tweaking the widening. Did you use some type of constraint or do it manually?

Cheers,

Aaron

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 15 of 17 (422 Views)

01-03-2013 04:30 PM in reply to: aafulton

Start by creating a very basic centerline, just a straight line from your proposed start point to end point to get started.  Before you create any offset alignments you likely need to edit the default settings for the Add Widening command.  Otherwise your transition segments through curves don't work very well.  The default settings can also cause the command to fail, because the segment and transition lengths won't fit within the overall length of your alignment.  Here's what I'm using for the example drawing.

Clipboard01.png

Use the Create Offset Alignments command from the Ribbon then select one of the new alignments and use the little cyan + icon to create the default widening.  Once that's done you can select the alignment again and pick on the white dot in the middle of the transition.  This should turn on two new cyan grip points which allow you to drag the start and end of the transition.

Clipboard02.png

You cannot move them to the absolute ends of the centerline alignment (if you do then the transition disappears and you have to recreate it) but you can use the station-offset transparent command to get them close enough.  The idea is to have that one transition cover the entire length of the centerline.

Once you have all of that done you can go ahead and start editing the centerline to add PI's and curves etc.  Note - you can also try to do this step first, but I've sometimes had difficulty creating the widenings if the centerline already has complex geometry.

aafulton
Message 16 of 17 (390 Views)

01-06-2013 05:47 PM in reply to: aafulton

Great Advice!

My problem seemed to be fixed by changing the default settings.

Thanks to everyone for their spectacular help.

Cheers

Aaron

*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 17 of 17 (386 Views)

01-06-2013 08:06 PM in reply to: sboon

sboon wrote:

Before you create any offset alignments you likely need to edit the default settings for the Add Widening command.  Otherwise your transition segments through curves don't work very well.

I KNEW there had to be some way of changing that! Thanks Steve!

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.