AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
taneum
Message 1 of 31 (858 Views)

Transitioning between Sub-Assemblies

858 Views, 30 Replies
06-25-2012 12:26 PM

Along my corridor I have different assemblies I used.  My sidewalk is curb side in some locations and in different locations there is a boulevard between the curb and sidewalk. I want to transition between these different  asselmblies and I want that transition to show up in the cross sections I cut. Isn't there a way to tell Civil 3D to transition from one assembly to the next one as you could in Eagle Point?

taneum
Message 2 of 31 (844 Views)

Re: Transitioning between Sub-Assemblies

06-25-2012 02:16 PM in reply to: taneum

Incidentally this is a only a sidewalk project hence why I didn't mention anything about roadways.  The road already exists.  I just want to transition from a 5' sidewalk to a 7' sidewalk in 25' and want my cross sections to reflect that transition.

taneum
Message 3 of 31 (836 Views)

06-25-2012 02:35 PM in reply to: taneum

......Thanks by the way to all of you that have viewed this with no replies.  Is this really that hard of a task in Civil 3D?  In Eagle Point you click a drop down that said to transition or not.  I have had little success in researching this issue though a Google search.  Seems the only thing that people ask is how to transition a full roadway design.  Somebody please help me on this.

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 4 of 31 (826 Views)

06-25-2012 03:17 PM in reply to: taneum

If you used the UrbanSidewalk you could target the inside edge with a polyline and the sidewalk will move in/out as needed. You could accomplish the same thing using a generic link from the back of curb to the edge of walk. This would allow you to have 1 assembly that transitions, via the targets, to your varying width parkway.

BTW, saying "how Eagle Point did it" doesn't tell me a thing, I've never even seen, much less used, Eagle Point. I'm pretty sure, however, it was quite similar to Land Desktop and the standard response to former LDT users is 'this is not LDT, don't try to make it so'. C3D is different, and does similar things differently and, in most cases, much better.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
taneum
Message 5 of 31 (823 Views)

06-25-2012 03:22 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

Unfortunately I did not use Urban Sidewalk.  I started out with that Sub-Assembly but I needed to show a base course sub assembly and could not find one so I used the "Shape Trapezoidal" Sub-Assembly and created one for each, the concrete sidewalk and the base course section underneath it.

taneum
Message 6 of 31 (817 Views)

06-25-2012 03:28 PM in reply to: taneum

If I decide to go back to the urban sidewalk sub-assembly then what do Iuse for a base course section? Also, how do I target the inside edge of my sub-assembly to a pollyline?  Is that a polyline drawn in the plan view the entire length of the sidewalk project?  Now if my design parameters change I aslo have to change that polyline that the inside edge is referencing?  Sounds like a lot of work for a piece of software that supposed to be dynamic in the update process.  Am I missing something in this process?

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 7 of 31 (805 Views)

06-25-2012 04:11 PM in reply to: taneum

I would've used the UrbanSiedwalk and added the trapezoidal sub for the base only. By attaching it to the bottom of the sidewalk it will move wherever the sidewalk does. The polyline only needs to be drawn where it differs from the default parkway (boulevard) width, although I will usually draw it for the entire length so there is just one target I need to select.

As far as what to change when your design parameters change....you will have to change something for the corridor to know what to change and where. I find it quite simple to edit the polyline(this could also be an offset alignment or featureline), rebuild the corridor, done. Attached is a simple example of what I've tried to describe (C3D2012 format dwg).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 8 of 31 (804 Views)

06-25-2012 04:14 PM in reply to: taneum

You might want to look into "Editig Feature Line Connections" under the Corridor Help "Editing Feature Lines" section. Basically assembly points that share the same point code will "branch" to connect to each other across the transition region.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 9 of 31 (791 Views)

06-25-2012 05:09 PM in reply to: taneum

Neil,

I didn't think the feature lines will connect any longer? I thought it was 2011 or so when they "fixed" that.

The surface will triangulate across a gap, but the feature lines stop if there is a gap.

Am I missing something or did they fix that for 2013? Im in 2012 right now.

Taneum,

I always use alignments for EOP and front of sidewalk so I can taper the curb and/or sidewalk in and out at will. I also use shape trapezoid for the rock under the sidewalk.

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 Certified Professional
Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 (SP2)
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 10 of 31 (782 Views)

06-25-2012 07:30 PM in reply to: taneum
[Am I missing something in this process?]
Yes. This is a very easy thing to do once you learn targetting as others have suggested. BTW, I use alignment offsets in these scenarios as I find it far easier to adjust later in most cases.

[. ......Thanks by the way to all of you that have viewed this with no replies]
Maybe it's me but this sounds very sarcastic for someone who is asking for free help from the nice people here.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.