Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitioning between Sub-Assemblies

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
taneum
1910 Views, 30 Replies

Transitioning between Sub-Assemblies

Along my corridor I have different assemblies I used.  My sidewalk is curb side in some locations and in different locations there is a boulevard between the curb and sidewalk. I want to transition between these different  asselmblies and I want that transition to show up in the cross sections I cut. Isn't there a way to tell Civil 3D to transition from one assembly to the next one as you could in Eagle Point?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
taneum
in reply to: taneum

Incidentally this is a only a sidewalk project hence why I didn't mention anything about roadways.  The road already exists.  I just want to transition from a 5' sidewalk to a 7' sidewalk in 25' and want my cross sections to reflect that transition.

Message 3 of 31
taneum

......Thanks by the way to all of you that have viewed this with no replies.  Is this really that hard of a task in Civil 3D?  In Eagle Point you click a drop down that said to transition or not.  I have had little success in researching this issue though a Google search.  Seems the only thing that people ask is how to transition a full roadway design.  Somebody please help me on this.

Message 4 of 31
Jeff_M

If you used the UrbanSidewalk you could target the inside edge with a polyline and the sidewalk will move in/out as needed. You could accomplish the same thing using a generic link from the back of curb to the edge of walk. This would allow you to have 1 assembly that transitions, via the targets, to your varying width parkway.

BTW, saying "how Eagle Point did it" doesn't tell me a thing, I've never even seen, much less used, Eagle Point. I'm pretty sure, however, it was quite similar to Land Desktop and the standard response to former LDT users is 'this is not LDT, don't try to make it so'. C3D is different, and does similar things differently and, in most cases, much better.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 31
taneum
in reply to: Jeff_M

Unfortunately I did not use Urban Sidewalk.  I started out with that Sub-Assembly but I needed to show a base course sub assembly and could not find one so I used the "Shape Trapezoidal" Sub-Assembly and created one for each, the concrete sidewalk and the base course section underneath it.

Message 6 of 31
taneum

If I decide to go back to the urban sidewalk sub-assembly then what do Iuse for a base course section? Also, how do I target the inside edge of my sub-assembly to a pollyline?  Is that a polyline drawn in the plan view the entire length of the sidewalk project?  Now if my design parameters change I aslo have to change that polyline that the inside edge is referencing?  Sounds like a lot of work for a piece of software that supposed to be dynamic in the update process.  Am I missing something in this process?

Message 7 of 31
Jeff_M

I would've used the UrbanSiedwalk and added the trapezoidal sub for the base only. By attaching it to the bottom of the sidewalk it will move wherever the sidewalk does. The polyline only needs to be drawn where it differs from the default parkway (boulevard) width, although I will usually draw it for the entire length so there is just one target I need to select.

As far as what to change when your design parameters change....you will have to change something for the corridor to know what to change and where. I find it quite simple to edit the polyline(this could also be an offset alignment or featureline), rebuild the corridor, done. Attached is a simple example of what I've tried to describe (C3D2012 format dwg).

EESignature
Message 8 of 31
Neilw_05

You might want to look into "Editig Feature Line Connections" under the Corridor Help "Editing Feature Lines" section. Basically assembly points that share the same point code will "branch" to connect to each other across the transition region.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 31
klugb

Neil,

I didn't think the feature lines will connect any longer? I thought it was 2011 or so when they "fixed" that.

The surface will triangulate across a gap, but the feature lines stop if there is a gap.

Am I missing something or did they fix that for 2013? Im in 2012 right now.

Taneum,

I always use alignments for EOP and front of sidewalk so I can taper the curb and/or sidewalk in and out at will. I also use shape trapezoid for the rock under the sidewalk.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 10 of 31
mathewkol

[Am I missing something in this process?]
Yes. This is a very easy thing to do once you learn targetting as others have suggested. BTW, I use alignment offsets in these scenarios as I find it far easier to adjust later in most cases.

[. ......Thanks by the way to all of you that have viewed this with no replies]
Maybe it's me but this sounds very sarcastic for someone who is asking for free help from the nice people here.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 11 of 31
sboon
in reply to: mathewkol

Agree with Matt on this.  All of us who spend time on this site answering the questions of others also have real jobs, and other things that need to get done.  We help when and where we can, but time spent here takes away from my family and my paycheck.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 31
Neilw_05
in reply to: klugb

I wasn't aware of a change in the behavior Bruce. I'll have to run some tests.

Here is the basis of my comment (note the reply by James Wedding): http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Corridor-transitions/m-p/2440912/highlight/true#M9948...

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 13 of 31
Neilw_05

Apparently the branching functionality is still disabled in 2013 Bruce. I can't get it to work. I find no hint of this in the help documents.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 31
taneum
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt it was sarcas as 18 people viewed it before all these replies came in.

The whole offset alignment idea is new to me along with targeting feature lines so I am definitely going to look in to those ways of doing this.  The thing that I dont understand yet as I am still writing this is in my corridor parameter I put in start and stop stations for my assembly to run at and then I give a new start and stop station for another assembly.  So whether I have an offset alignement or a feature line to target to, where am I telling civil3d to transition in between these two assemblies?

Message 15 of 31
mathewkol

Do the offset target tutorials, it will be easier than explaining it here.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 16 of 31
klugb
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks Neil,

I just checked on my 2013 box and I am seeing the same thing. If there is a gap in between regions you get a gap and no transitions between assemblies. You will get the surface across the gap, but that's a little deceiving because you don't get any corridor assemblies when you cut sections.

Thanks for checking also,

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 17 of 31
taneum

Bruce I have seen that as well.  I have my cross sections cut already and the cross sections that show up in my transitions the cross sections are empty.  I will go over the target tutorials.

Thank you.

Message 18 of 31
Jeff_M

If the only thing changing is the location of the sidewalk, look at the drawing I posted and note how the whole thing was done with just one assembly.

EESignature
Message 19 of 31
Neilw_05

In the case where the sidewalk transitions from being adjacent to the curb to where there is a boulevard in between, you use the same assembly at both ends. You would add a link between the curb and sidewalk and that link would stretch to follow a target line that you draw for the transition. The target line could be a feature line, polyline, alignment, etc. At the beginning of the transition the length of the link will be zero but It still works.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 20 of 31
taneum
in reply to: Neilw_05

No this is all great information guys.  One more question......when I started this project I created a separate assembly for each are where the sidewalk widths were different.  I have some that is 3.75' wide, 5' wide, and 7' wide as we are tieing into existing in some cases.  Anyways, I had all these locations under one corridor.  When it wasnt transitioning between the assemblies I created sparate corridors for each are that had a different assembly.  I am kind of getting the idea that I can keep all of this under one corridor though correct?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report