Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitioning between asseblies of varying cross slope

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jgotsis
10013 Views, 12 Replies

Transitioning between asseblies of varying cross slope

Can somebody please advise how to create the transition portion of a corridor design where my road cross slope has to uniformly go from 3% to the right to 3% to the left.  I have the two regions set up, but I cannot get that "middle" or "connecting" region where the cross slope is "rotating" around my road profile center line to create this "+3% to -3%" transition.

I have been searching the internet and this forum, but cannot find a good explanation.  There is info out there about setting vertical offsets, but not sure how to do this so the cross slope is uniform all the way through this region (i.e., making sure that if the slope is 1.234% on the  right side, I will get 1.234% on the left side, etc.)

If there is a nice step by step users guide for transitions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dnl999
in reply to: jgotsis

You can use either the superelevation data or profile target.

Message 3 of 13
AllenJessup

If I'm envisioning what you're trying to do correctly. You could draw featurelines between the 2 ends of your regions at full 3% right and full 3%l left. Then use those featurelines as targets for the transition.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
jgotsis
in reply to: dnl999

How do you create the superelevation data?

Message 5 of 13
Neilw_05

Unless you need sophisticated transitions such as rollover options in Super Elevation control, Allens suggestion is easiest. Just snap a feature line between the ends of the corridor transition regions and use it as a vertical target for your assemblies, assuming your assemblies have superelevation lane subassemblies that can follow a target. There would be no need to create profiles or set up super elevation parameters and it will work along curves as well.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 13
jgotsis
in reply to: Neilw_05

I am using LaneOutsideSuper.  I snapped to the ends of the regions as you suggested, but I am getting crowned sections in the region- not a smooth transition of sections that go from, in one case, +3% at STA 256+25 to 0% at STA 256+75 to -3% at STA 257+25.  In some instances, this scenario will occur along vertical as well as horizontal curves along my centerline alignment.  I am looking for that aha moment, so I can master the corridor portion of C3D.  I appreciate your help...

Message 7 of 13
miked

If there are tangents and curves involved I would use the superelevation method.

Give it a go you will gain some knowledge on how powerful it can be.

1  highlight the alignment and on the ribbon select Superelevation/calculate edit superelevation

2  do not use the wizard select manual

3  Select the tabulator editor

4  manually input the stations and the cross falls you want

As you can see from attachment the cross fall will change from -3% -3% to -6% -6% over 93m (smooth transition)

NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil3D 2012 64x
Message 8 of 13
miked
in reply to: miked

Oops should read as below

As you can see from attachment the cross fall will change from -3% -3% to -6% 6% over 93m (smooth transition)

NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil3D 2012 64x
Message 9 of 13
jgotsis

Miked, et. al.,

Many thanks, while the screen shot you sent looks like it is from the most recent Civil3D (2011?), I am in Civil3D 2010 and went back to the Superelevation tab of the Alignment Properties and set all of the outside lane slopes for each station.  This seems to let me use one assembly for the entire corridor alignment.  I even use polylines for EOP targets for those areas the pavement gets wider to accomodate turnout lanes.  Now I am going to get real crazy and start to model beyond the EOPs...

Again, many thanks to all.

Message 10 of 13
miked

Hi - no problem

Even with 2010 you don't have to set the superelevation a each station

For eg station 1000 the fall is -3%  -3% and at station 1200 you set  -10%  +10% all the sections in between will shown the gradual changing crossfall, just saves time.

Don't forget you can also use multiple targets and set nearest and furthest

NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil3D 2012 64x
Message 11 of 13
davidrenaud3020

HEY

I am trying to do something similar. Using the superelevation editor seems pretty east if I can specify the last station where one cross slope is, and the first station where the new cross slope is, and let it transition between.

However, my alignment is straight, no curves. Will this still work?

I can also use the feature line target method. My question here is what to use for an assembly in the transition area. I am going from a normal .02 slope away from CL for several hundred feet, then transitioning into a 3% from RT all the way across the road to the LT for another several hundred feet. So I have a typical 02 assembly built, and then with an 03 across the entire pavement. What do I use for an assembly in the transition area? Just create a new region, then target the lane of either assembly to my feature lines?

A pro/con discussion of each method, assuming that I can use supers in straight alignments weould be useful.

THANKS.

Message 12 of 13
riyazniz
in reply to: AllenJessup

From

N. Riazuddin, 

Dear Sir ,

I want to know about transition between two assemblies with exact levels as per transition slops. 

I made super elevation with transition but it not relation with assembles. Last 3 days i tried too much but still i did not get.

can you arrange any correct videos about transition between two assemblies with exact levels as per transition slops.

Kindly request to solve my problem.

Thanking You,

Riazuddin. N

Message 13 of 13
riyazniz
in reply to: AllenJessup

From

N. Riazuddin, 

Dear Sir ,

I want to know about transition between two assemblies with exact levels as per transition slops. 

I made super elevation with transition but it not relation with assembles. Last 3 days i tried too much but still i did not get.

can you arrange any correct videos about transition between two assemblies with exact levels as per transition slops.

Kindly request to solve my problem.

Thanking You,

Riazuddin. N

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report